Kev_VR6

New Cill Covers

not sure what it is but i think the best pics of cars are when they are being worked on, looks awesome in the pic above with no rear beam :D

hard to pick what looks best out of the speedlines and the BBS, both look brilliant

Thanks guys!

3corsameal

You're right mate that's one of my fave pics of the car. Cheers for the compliments on the wheels mate, big plans for the bbs's in summer!

C5 OEM

Thanks Andy. Gettin constant inspiration from you and your lovely motor all the time. Come round and see us on Sunday mate be good to catch up again.

Fla

Cheers Hasan. Costs are spiralling out of control now but at least I'm seeing some benefits now, not just fixing things lol

I hit a brick wall with that silver beam - it turns out it actually came off a Mk 3 Golf VR - same dimensions but different mounting points for the brake lines etc. so the simpler (and cheaper) option was to have my old beam taken to be blasted and coated - £25 all in! Plus the £75 for new bushes...

I was at a loose end while it was away so I started to spend more time tidying up the underneath...

Heat shields got a good polish

Fuel filter brekets have been cleaned and zinc plated

Exhaust brackets have been cleaned and zinc plated

Fuel tank got a scrub down

Underseal now looks good as (nearly) new

When the beam was ready it didn't take long to get it built up again with the back plates and callipers (callipers were nearly new so treated myself to new carriers too). The new brake lines were a bit of a pain but went into the brackets eventually...soon it started to take shape.

The exhaust was now ready to be trial fitted too...

All seemed ok so the progress could finally start

Here are some pics taken along the way

Cheers everyone, hope you like!

Well after all the hard work involved in getting the rear beam, exhaust and brakes done and dusted I thought I'd best get it MOTd again - just be be sure nothing had been missed or done wrong. It isn't due till mid June but wanted it doing just for peace of mind.

Took it to the garge I use last Wednesday and it passed with flying colours - no advisory even :dance:

The mechanic who did it was very complimentary about the car and let me take a few pics while it was up on the ramp.

Took it for a spin up to the dealers to pick up a few bits and couldn't resist taking a few more once there

Getting there now at long last...

Thanks,

Kev

Credit to you mate, you`ve not had an easy run with it but kept going..

Cheers buddy. I've been to hell and back since owning this car as you know better than most but it's finally starting to come together. Would have popped round to see you when I was at the dealers but was running a bit late as usual lol

Love the underbody photos! Really makes me want to get under mine and make it all shiny!

Love the underbody photos! Really makes me want to get under mine and make it all shiny!

Thanks mate. It took some doing to get it like that underneath but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're gonna be doing work down there for some other reason.

I just wanted the new exhaust on :lol: but I can't put dirty / rusty stuff back once it's come off - hence the beam and brakes being done too.

fantastic work there ,looks amazing. been thinking about doin mine for a while , should have done it before the respray tbh , talk about arse about face !.

The underside looks great...I like the silver powder coated rear beam rather than the usual black colour.

Will you be taking it to all types VW this week.

x2 It's nice to see a job being done really well. It's probably improved the value of the car a fair bit too. The only thing I would have done differently would be to use a matt finish on the leather, but that's just personal opinion and you've still done it very nicely. Hope it runs well after all this hard work!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

I am well chuffed with it - well for now I am until the next series of problems present themselves lol

As for All Types this weekend, it's gonna be difficult for me to go as I promised to lend my dad a hand on his MkII. I'll try and make it for a few hours, weather permitting.

The leather probably would have looked better with a matt finish looking back but I liked the sound of the satin and it has come up nice so it can stay for now.

Comments received very gratefully guys

Thanks for looking

Edited by Kev_VR6

I love your car, I can only dream that mine will look that good one day! Can I ask about the wheel nut covers...I want some, are they one size fits all, did you get them from the stealers or ebay?

I love your car, I can only dream that mine will look that good one day! Can I ask about the wheel nut covers...I want some, are they one size fits all, did you get them from the stealers or ebay?

Thanks Ollie. Really nice of you to say so mate when there are so many other stunning examples on here - means an awful lot to me and gives me the inspiration I need to carry on.

As for the wheel nut covers, they're just the ebay ones: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-ALLOY-WHEEL-NUT-BOLT-COVERS-CAPS-Volkswagen-Engraved-/370484864702?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56429e66be

These will do you if you have locking wheel nuts - I don't so I had to purchase 2 sets :eek:

Edited by Kev_VR6

Ah right, thanks for the reply! I have locking nuts but not the VW versions so I hope I'll just need one set.....at least you have some spares :)

Well some of you might think I'm a bit mad for doing this as there wasn't anything wrong with the bodywork (no rust or dents), just a few niggles I had with the paint...

The front end was poorly done by somebody my mechanic reocmmended last year after my A-pillar rott disaster (mechanics were very good with the welding, but damaged my front wings with the sparks in the process, so they put me on to their bodywork expert - who it turned out wasn't too good - it seems he had the attitude 'oh well it's just an old vw, Ii'll let my apprentice have a go at this'.

He brought it back in a right state - blisters on the roof, sander marks on a-pillars and sunroof etc. so it get sent straight back and it returned much better but not perfect and has since been getting on my nerves everytime I wash/wax it.

A full respray wasn't really planned, I only wanted the most noticable bits tidied up, but I thought I'd get the side strips removed whilst it's in and a couple of other little treats so I talked myself into going all out, because of the (very) reasonable price I got quoted.

I went to see it yesterday to get some pics of it in the early stages...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47281[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47282[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47283[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47284[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47285[/ATTACH]

I'll be going back on Wednesday to get some more pics.

Let me know what you think, even if you think I'm a fool :bonk:

I hope this all works out for you goodness knows you need a break, work ongoing looks reassuringly thorough. Look forward to watching it progress

Edited by OSV

she will be as good as new soon. do yourself a favour though ,get the interior out of the car , im glad i did with mine , it will take weeks of cleaning to get it clean .

Looks good Kev, and nice to see the metal underneath is in a really good state :)

Can I ask how much a job like that costs? Are you just repainting or are you changing the colour?

Thanks guys.

I'm confident they'll do a nice job - I had a long chat with the boss and got him to understand the kind of finish I'm after (not just a quick blow over) - I insisted the rear quarter glass came out and bumpers off, lights out etc.

Seeing it parked between a Ferrari and a Maserati is fairly reassuring though.

Not changing the colour - just gonna be Aqua Blue Pearl again...

The full job will be costing around £2000 - a complete bargain for everything they're gonna be doing. They said at first £1800 but I asked them to include a few extras (fit new roof rails, new door scrapers, colour code door handles etc.etc)

The reason I am getting it so cheap is because I travelled down with a sales rep I work with who is on very good terms with them - he sends a lot of work their way and he got them to take sympathy with me after all the bad luck I was having...