Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Wrong oil...d'oh

Ok so i went to buy some new oil today, picked up from halfrauds their own brand 10w/40 as it was suggested by them to give 'ulimate protection' and i couldnt be bothered to search around so i bought it. At the same time my mum bought some 5w/30 for her Ford Mondeo.....i think you can probably figure out what happened next....in the dark, and the cold i accidently poured her Mondeo oil into my engine, it wasnt that much, probably about a cup full..anyway, is this going to cause a problem, i mean apart from viscosity etc oil is oil but it clearly isnt the correct oil that is suggested

Thanks!

Dont actually know how much damage it can do, but i know you shouldnt mix oils.

If theres only a cupful in then drop it out and start again??

Can I suggest that you contact oilman who is always very helpful. He can be found on this forum and many other car sites.

Matt

Well hopefully he'll find this topic and give his opinion, i am planning on replacing the oil anyway but it was running a bit hot and after i checked it needed a top up until i replace it

Probably wont do any damage, just top up with correct oil. The thinner oil can in high milage engines slip past pistons and valves and cause a bit to be burnt off but i cant see any harm from just a cup full. I rarely top my vr up with the same oil just what ever is to hand and never had a problem.

Ok cool, well thanks for your replies, i'll keep an eye on it and make sure that i change the oil as soon as i can just so i can avoid any potential issues :)

Hey mate,

Sorry to hear about your bad news! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Was planning on changing my Oil sometime soon anyway :)

JP

not much of a problem tbh. Issues arise when you mix fully synthetic with semi, or mineral oil. Thats a real nono.

if its slippery it will do!!! :camp: :D

haha awesome, yeah i got a reply from oilman and he said it will be fine so its all good! Just can't believe i didnt double check! at least it wasn't a canister of diesel or anything bad like that!!