Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

fuel pump buzzing when Ignition off?

I noticed the other day when sat in my car with the ignition turn off, after about 5mins I could hear a whirring at the back of the car, presumably the fuel pump.

I turned the ignition on then off again - after about 5 mins the whirring reoccured!!

I'm just wondering why it does this, and if its doing it half the night!

I never hear it first thing in the morning when getting in the car, anybody any idea's?

Corrados do run the fuel pump for a while after they are switched off to cool the fuel and prevent evaporation within the lines. This helps with hot starting (you've got fuel rather than vapour coming out of the line!)

It scared me the first time I noticed it too! It's nothing to worry about as long as it's not going all the time... 8)

Corrados do run the fuel pump for a while after they are switched off to cool the fuel and prevent evaporation within the lines. This helps with hot starting (you've got fuel rather than vapour coming out of the line!)

It scared me the first time I noticed it too! It's nothing to worry about as long as it's not going all the time... 8)

'Cool fuel'...like it! Is the VR supposed to do that aswell as I can't say I've noticed it on mine?

AFAIK all 'rados will do it, but you may not notice it doing it instantly, if at all... It uses a fuel temp sensor in the engine bay to determine when to do it... 8)

Ah, probably another knackered temp sensor then, I'd guess.

No wonder these things chew batteries like they're going out of fashion! All the things running for "up to 20 minutes" after you turn the engine off...

mine was running all night all the time while car was on or off,..and kept running,...couldnt figure it out,..new switch,..new fuel filter,....and still runs,...so i just unplugged the fuel pump run-on switch.......dont know if this is a bad thing or not,..but it runs just the same with it unplugged...?

does the fan run on as well??

Yup, there's a little sensor on the G60s just next to the FPR that has a brown and white wire on it... If this thinks that your head is still hot, it'll keep the fan going... (guess how I know! :roll: :lol: )

Dunno about the rest of 'em, but I can't see why it would only be the G60s that do!

does the fan run on as well??

Yup, there's a little sensor on the G60s just next to the FPR that has a brown and white wire on it... If this thinks that your head is still hot, it'll keep the fan going... (guess how I know! :roll: :lol: )

Dunno about the rest of 'em, but I can't see why it would only be the G60s that do!

aaahhh. I wondered why when I unpluged that little wire and pressed it against my rocker cover my fan came on :lol: :lol: :lol:

aaahhh. I wondered why when I unpluged that little wire and pressed it against my rocker cover my fan came on :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: :cuckoo:

Yes I know :lol: My first thought was that it was a temperature sensor honestly :lol: But then I thought "the fan cools the water why measure the temperature here", still equaly stupid though! :lol: :lol:

ignition turn off, after 5mins ..a whirring ... presumably the fuel pump.

Andy, Kev, all the "C"s do it. They are meant to, but just until the car switches its monitoring system to electrical idle, around 30 seconds after the key is removed (not just turned off).

Whats interesting here is that Andy has it going on for 5 mins. Andy I'd suggest you check for petrol leaks around the tank. Also check the petrol filter.

Cheers guys, thata a relief! I've never noticed it being on when returning to the car so it must be turning itself off after a few mins.

I'll check the tank for leaks, and the fuel filter definately should be replaced soon!

Ta