fla

Heater Only Working On 4? Try This...

My heater panel operates intermittantly between all speeds and then just on 4. It was stuck for a while so i took them apart as i had replaced the thermal fuse recently. Anyways, this is a potential repair option if you find your thermal fuse is ok:

Need to remove this bit with a small screwdriver

ETKA Corrado.pdf19122009796.jpg[/attachment:1knyb16y]

Crappy pic but the black tab in the middle is what you need to push in to pull this bit out

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf19122009789.jpg[/attachment:1knyb16y]

removed from heater control:

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf19122009791.jpg[/attachment:1knyb16y]

Spades other side connect to the upper portions, the slider connects these to the top copper arc to give the different speeds

Corrado92.pdf19122009793.jpg[/attachment:1knyb16y]

this is the main contact wiper and needs to contact both the upper copper arc and the lower speed contacts. This either gets pitted or deformed resulting in no fans at low speeds. Give it a clean witha file or emery paper and tweak it slightly to ensure a good pressure both top & bottom

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf23122009811.jpg[/attachment:1knyb16y]

ready to refit speed control portion

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf23122009820.jpg[/attachment:1knyb16y]

Might have to have a look into this to see if the reason my number 2 position doesn't come on can be solved in the same way.

What i would also suggest is prior to removing the contact in the dial, check for continuity between the dial contact and each of the upper and lower contacts - ie connect your ohm-meter to the dial contact and the upper copper arc. Move the dial to each speed position, you should have no resistance. If there is it means the upper portion of the dial contact needs cleaning/adjusting. The lower one iis a bit more fiddly - again connect one end to the dial contact and the other to each of the contacts in the removable portion. You will need to use pointed leads on the meter. This will identify whether the lower part of the dial contact is ok.

I have the same problem on my VR6 - heater fan only works on setting 4. Thanks for

the info here..... i'll give it a try when the weather cheers up a bit. :notworthy: :grin:

Dont really know what the early one looks like tbh. Sorry. :(

Just another suggestion for those who ahve this issue - check the brass rivets to which the thermal resistor is fixed. This sits in the resistors in the circualtion fan housing itself. Might look ok, but there may be a minute amount of clearance giving an open circuit. Its the bit to the left of the picture, where i've fitted the brass connecting block. This gave me no end of grief for ages, as it just didnt occur to me that there was a gap here. Also worth checking the other side too. HTH

Is this the only cause for heater fans only working on 4, or are there other possible causes?

can also be the thermal fuse failing - just desolder and resolder a new one in.

can also be the thermal fuse failing - just desolder and resolder a new one in.

Is that a big job? Any tutorials on here for that?

mine is stlightly different as i have aircon, but the principle is the same. I posted some pics up in another thread, cant remember what it was called though :shrug:

You sir are a genius. I didn't realise that the knobs for the control panel of the heater had their own place. My entire dash was taken out by the garage for a new heater matrix about 18 months ago and when i got it back, the heater would only work on setting 4.

So i tried switching round the dials last night and hey presto - fully working blower on 1,2,3 and 4 again!! The garage guys must have put them back in the wrong positions.

Muchas Muchas Gracias!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

:salute:

This is a you-know-what of a job. For me 9 times out of ten the fault is with the slider and a few hours (......) gently bending it to improve the contacts has done the trick but be very careful as (at least here in Spain.......) it cant be bought separately, only with the head unit at €327............

Can you get the fan dials off without taking the whole unit out of the dash? Mine seems to be holding half the dash in - it's the only bit that doesn't rattle so I don't want to fiddle with it more than I need to!

My fan only worked on 4, I put a new thermal fuse in (right pain of a job - previous owner had smashed the lower half of the duct the fan plugs into and it was held together with cable ties) and now it works on 3 (full speed) and balanced on the detent between 1 and 2 (lower speed). I'm not convinced the fan is the right part as it apparently came out of a Jetta - plug fits on snugly though, maybe the wiring's a bit different? Fingers crossed it just needs the contacts bent a little...

Stone

I have had the parts to do this for AGES sitting in a folder upstairs. Just did it all in 20 minutes and have a fully working fan on all 4 settings. Fantastic!! For anyone who doubts how easy it is - I'm not confident to do much work on my own car yet but seriously give it a go!!

Hasan,

Followed you guide on replacing thermal fuse on resistor, still only got speed 4. Is this the next thing to look at, when i turn the dial between the speeds it feels quite loose, doesn't really 'click' on any of the speeds...

yes. The thing with this is the actual bend at both ends of the contact. If you can post a pic of the copper contact on yours we can have a look at it and go from there. Also, the profile in contact with the control panel needs to be smooth else it'll feel as though the switch has sandpaper in it!