Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Robotnik

H&R Springs/Koni Shocks Vs. KW Variant 1?

First off I am very sorry if this has been asked before (Which it probably has, but I couldn't find it!)

And I've trawled briefly through the suspension thread and found out that they are both very good but nothing to say which is better?

They both come to about £500ish and I don't want to lower my car a lot due to the condition of the roads around here :D

But yeah, basically, which would you consider best? And why?

Many thanks!

Ben.

I have Pi springs and Konis, and would definitely take the V1s instead.

Oh really? But why is that? I mean, I'd like to know the pros and cons of both.

I hear the H&R/Koni gives a more comfortable ride, which I am into, and I don't have to do too much adjusting ;D

But then again if the V1s provide better handling/comfort for similar money... hmmmm

Also I can buy the shocks and springs separate over time when I have the money instead of dishing out £580 or so in one big lump :p

Well, I had a go with a car on V1s (Scarlet_VR6s) We've both had new bushes all round, uprated rear ARBs, and hers felt so much better.

Overall the car felt stiffer when pressing on the wing/rear quarter, but on the move, over bumps it felt far far more composed and smoother, a lot less crashy, and I felt far happier going into corners quicker.

It's difficult to explain, to put how it feels into words, you really do need to try them out for yourself.

Yeah I know what you mean!

But down in Cornwall, there aren't a lot of people with Corrados that are nearby or who have these setups at least who would let me go for a spin to see what they're like :p

But still, at least that's one vote for V1s.

Though you say you have Pi springs, would H&R ones be much different you reckon?

I've had H&R springs with Koni shocks before and i now have the KW V1s. As Toad says the V1s are alot more composed through in the corners. They feel harder over the bumper, but thats to be expected compared to the springs/shocks. But then that made the springs shocks 'softer' through the corners.

Depends what you're after really. If you dont mind the hardER (but not uncomfortable) ride and want better handling performance then go for the V1s. Then again, if you only want to drop the car a little and keep some comfort, go for the shocks/springs. But imo the KW V1s arent uncomfy, i use my car as a daily and i dont ever think about the car being too hard. Saying that over, really rough uneven roads it can rock you about a bit. But the dampering works well on the KWs.

I cant praise the KWs enough, I've had about 2 sets of coilovers (inc. KWs) and 3 sets of springs/shocks (inc. OEM shocks) and i havent looked back since getting the KWs.

I think the KWs are more comfortable than the Pi/Konis, they seem to take rough surfaces/potholes better.

I think the KWs are more comfortable than the Pi/Konis, they seem to take rough surfaces/potholes better.

I've heard the Pi springs are stiffer though. Maybe the H&R springs are not so stiff :shrug:

hmm oh lord I dunno what to do!

Aha

I am used to standard mk4 golf suspension so it's like floating about on a loaf of bread. I don't want anything too stiff because the roads to and from my workplace are pretty awful. If I go too fast even my golf scrapes in some places...

It's only a 2.0 16v and I am afraid of pushing cars TOO far yet so I think the shocks/springs would suit me better, cause I do very much enjoy ride comfort

But I don't want to feel like I am not getting the best for my money though!

KW's all day long, super comfy ride that just feels nicely damped not hard and harsh the best yet by far!

H & R / Koni always feel harder to me and the ride height doesn't sit quite as nice (a little high). Koni / PI harder again compared to the previous two but ride height about right.

KW's all day long, super comfy ride that just feels nicely damped not hard and harsh the best yet by far!

H & R / Koni always feel harder to me and the ride height doesn't sit quite as nice (a little high). Koni / PI harder again compared to the previous two but ride height about right.

Yeah seems to be consistent with what I am hearing :p

Though again I don't want to drop it too far else it will be completely impractical D:

Still, at least both are better than OEM setup :D

Yeah seems to be consistent with what I am hearing :p

Though again I don't want to drop it too far else it will be completely impractical D:

Still, at least both are better than OEM setup :D

That's the benefit. My VR is too low right now, I want V1s so I can wind it back up a bit.

From my experience of PI springs there not the best, a litte to crashy. Ive got TA Koni's and H&R springs on mine and I find it perfect for all round driving plus you dont have to slow down when the road get a bit bumpy.

Ive never been a fan of coilovers though, always worries me about the adjuster platforms seizing and cracking.

Heres mine on the Koni / H&R

From my experience of PI springs there not the best, a litte to crashy. Ive got TA Koni's and H&R springs on mine and I find it perfect for all round driving plus you dont have to slow down when the road get a bit bumpy.

Ive never been a fan of coilovers though, always worries me about the adjuster platforms seizing and cracking.

Heres mine on the Koni / H&R

How much lower do they make it sit?

That is the look I wanted! Nicely fitting into the arches without looking too low/high.

my friend is all "omg faggot my golf is at 120mm lowered you have to drop it at least 80 else you wont really notice it"

Yes... And on roads around here your car scrapes literally all the time. Do not want, thanks.

I think your mind is made up despite what anyone says, you obviously want the shocks and springs. I just hope you get the ride height you want, the ride quality? well you'll perhaps never know

I think your mind is made up despite what anyone says, you obviously want the shocks and springs. I just hope you get the ride height you want, the ride quality? well you'll perhaps never know

Hah well I did sorta convince myself the shocks and springs is what I want, but I still don't actually know what I want!

As I said, I want to know I am getting the best of what I want for the money, I am just dubious about the coilovers in case the ride quality is (to me) horrendous and dubious about the shocks and springs in case the handling is a bit shit.

So really I was looking for answers to convince me one way or the other. I am getting the impression that the KW V1s are superior performance wise but shocks & springs win with regard to comfort...

Though you're right I do want the shocks and springs :p

....But I also want the KWs D:

I have H&R on Koni TA with the damping set about halfway currently. the setup gives a very firm ride and sticks like glue on smoother roads, feels very secure on good roads, no matter what the speed.

But on brown and yellow roads bit more skittish and bumpy roads jar every bone!

I know Crazydave has direct experience of both PI and KW setups and trust his judgement. [Night and day - his words!] Having said that I have driven his VRT with the PI setup on twisting good to average B road and felt like glue sticking whilst giving a comfy ride!

Nevertheless, I recently passed on a chance to swap to PI springs, with a view to saving for a KW alternative.

I might try some lowered standard rated springs, if I could find some, as a cheap experiment.

I have H&R on Koni TA with the damping set about halfway currently. the setup gives a very firm ride and sticks like glue on smoother roads, feels very secure on good roads, no matter what the speed.

But on brown and yellow roads bit more skittish and bumpy roads jar every bone!

I know Crazydave has direct experience of both PI and KW setups and trust his judgement. [Night and day - his words!] Having said that I have driven his VRT with the PI setup on twisting good to average B road and felt like glue sticking whilst giving a comfy ride!

Nevertheless, I recently passed on a chance to swap to PI springs, with a view to saving for a KW alternative.

I might try some lowered standard rated springs, if I could find some, as a cheap experiment.

Hm yeah, I nearly bought some cheap lowered springs on ebay for 99p :p But I was working and forgot to bid, also I need new shocks anyway so a full replacement is in order.

Now I am leaning more towards KW from everyones reviews.

Oh dear I am rather undecisive today ;D

To throw a spanner in the works - I had the koni kit (vogtland springs) on my last valver and although the height was perfect, the ride was very crashy. I had the springs changed for H&R's, the ride was great and not crashy or too firm at all BUT the front end sat way too high, about 1" higher than the rear and there was no way that it would have settled by that much. The front didn't look much lower than standard with the H&R's. I was never happy with the ride height but sold the car anyway, not for that reason tho.

After the above experience which was very costly I decided to go for coilovers if I ever uprated the suspension again. I will go for the KW V1's next time but look into softer springs as 1 or 2 members on here have asked and got the softer springs without additional cost.

To throw a spanner in the works - I had the koni kit (vogtland springs) on my last valver and although the height was perfect, the ride was very crashy. I had the springs changed for H&R's, the ride was great and not crashy or too firm at all BUT the front end sat way too high, about 1" higher than the rear and there was no way that it would have settled by that much. The front didn't look much lower than standard with the H&R's. I was never happy with the ride height but sold the car anyway, not for that reason tho.

After the above experience which was very costly I decided to go for coilovers if I ever uprated the suspension again. I will go for the KW V1's next time but look into softer springs as 1 or 2 members on here have asked and got the softer springs without additional cost.

Hmm that could be a very good plan.

Do venom motorsport offer softer springs? Because they are like... cheaper than everywhere else :p

And stainless vs non stainless? It's £80 more but in the long run, worth it?

Definately mate, go for the Inox Stainless steel KWs. You'll be glad you did when you get a few years down the road and you're still able to adjusted. Pay the extra £80! :D

Definately mate, go for the Inox Stainless steel KWs. You'll be glad you did when you get a few years down the road and you're still able to adjusted. Pay the extra £80! :D

Seeing as I'm all for listening to your advice...

I'LL DO IT.

Thanks guys

Of course, when I am not minus that in Mr. Bank...

I'm sort of local to you and i'm running TA Koni's and H&R springs on mine and would happily take you out for a spin if it helps!

Andrew