Sign in to follow this  
KIPVW

Ran over a dog :(

Well got home from work Saturday eve and packed ready to go over to Jude's uncles in crewe for his 50th so had a bit of an epic trip planned as the weather was awfull. Anyway was jus going up the dual carriageway 1 mile from home (which is unlit) and just geared down to third to negotiate the upcoming round about Speed around 40MPH then i see a guy run across in front of us 30 or 40 yards ahead and jumps into the central reservation so i'm watching him like a hawk then bang a huge thump and i thought i'd hit a bloody kerbstone in the road it made such a noise.

Jude shouted it was a dog, so i turned around at the roundabout and pulled up. walked back to the guy who's there hugging his dog which was still alive but didn't look too good to be honest. We offered him a lift to the vets as it was only 5 ish and he refused point blank, we offered him a lift home too but he wasn't bothered either as he only lived 1/4 a mile away. I couldn't really understand what was wrong with him to be honest as he seemed an ok chap but obviously a bit scruffy looking and so was his dog.

He said it had happened to his dog before as his back legs aren't very good so i though why the hell is he running across an unlit dual carriageway without a lead on it if its not good on its feet anyway, which for the record has wasteland all around it so no one lives near it, but then he also had a sledge hammer with him so i didn't really feel like i wanted to hang around anymore. So we walked back and carried on our trip.

I feel really sad about his dog as i'm sure it'll die but mostly i feel utter anger with this guy for causing it in the first place. I really couldn't believe it when he said his dog wasn't well to start with but yet he's prepared to run across a dark 4 lanes of traffic just letting it follow him slowly limping behind him.

Jude isn't feeling too happy about it either and is having flashbacks about it all the time not to mention her car looking a bit of a state too! but that'll patch up i hope with a few tweeks.

:(

Believe you are meant to report it to the police mate. I hit a dog that run across the dual carriage way, fortunately it got up and carried on run in front of other cars, I reported it to the police though just in case.

Believe you are meant to report it to the police mate. I hit a dog that run across the dual carriage way, fortunately it got up and carried on run in front of other cars, I reported it to the police though just in case.

Didn't know that mate but i didn't get any details from him so would struggle to give much info really :(

gutted for you 2 its terribly upsetting hitting any live creature rest assured it wasnt your fault nothing you could do about it! and yes any animal which is meant to be enclosed you have to reports it to the police (i hit a puppy once as it ran out into a 60mph road it survived with a broken hip and bit me the little **** lol and the copper told me a rhyme which listed all the animals you have to report but i cant remember it - anything like sheep, cows, goats, dog .... etc)

regards

ben

That's bad luck Kip and very sad - no fault on your part though and as you say hard to understand why the owner didn't have it under control. Our black lab which we've had a week now is rather skittish around traffic and I'd never willingly let her off the lead.

Sorry to hear that, Paul :( Really horrible running things over- especially something like a dog. The bloke sounds like a complete twat. Poor dog. My Dad ran over and killed a dog a couple of years bag- really upset him :( At least you know it's not your fault, and that you stopped and offered help.

its not your fault Paul, the owner should have had the dog on a lead, he obviously doesnt give a s++t about the dog :censored:

just try and get over it Paul. yeh easier said then done i understand.

Sorry to hear that mate, lets hope the dog was just a little dazed...there tough old things :)

Prob would have been better hitting the owner by the sounds of things!!

Really sorry to hear about this Kip, cant think of a worst animal to hit as to most people they are more than just an animal.

You would think the owner would want to get it to a vet asap :( but sounds like he was a tit, as who walks on a unlit dual carrage way, in the dark with a dog not on the leed, when you can see car lights comeing towards you :brickwall:

I can understand totally where you're coming from mate, angry at the chap for potentially having put you in that situation but mostly feeling horrible about the poor animal. It's just one of those really horrible feelings where in the words of a tired but useful cliche, time will hopefully prove a healer.

I've not been in your situation but I hope you can take some solace from thinking that you did absolutely what any right thinking person should, which is to go back and see to the situation; lots of people wouldn't and in doing so, you've done all you could.

Thanks everyone for your supportive words.

As said and as people expect, we both feel horrid about the situation and also angry at the guy for having put us in it. But then I feel bad about feeling angry at the guy as he had an ill dog to deal with.

Lots of what if's and if onlys but we can not change what is done, just wait for time to reduce the sick feelings that flash back, and wait for someone to post up a lower grille for sale.

Didn't know that mate but i didn't get any details from him so would struggle to give much info really :(

Report it anyhow - you've covered your arse then as it is a legal requirement. Bad luck all round.

Same as everyone has said, try not to blame yourself, I am guessing this was somewhere on the Dearne Valley Parkway, why anyone would be running across there in the dark-carrying a sledge hammer........it is safe to presume he was up to no good, does not help the dog though.

I would pop into your local police station and mention it though.

I know how you feel mate. My sisters hit a dog before, just down the road from our house where there's a popular dog walking spot. She'd just taken off from a junction so it wasn't more than 10mph when the dog jumped out of a bush directly into the front of her Vitara. I got out to check if it was alright as it limped back to its owner, he just shouted "It's okay, its not your fault", to which I replied with "Yeah, i know, but you'll need to get that dog to a vet asap!" then he just carried the dog off back to where all the cars park.

Seen him and the dog a couple weeks later with only 3 legs. :(

My sister was pretty cut up about it, had to keep telling her nothing could have prevented it apart from the owner having it on a leash. Absolutely sucked to be put in that position though.

I am guessing this was somewhere on the Dearne Valley Parkway,

Yeah just before the last 'non real' roundabout before the Hoyland / Birdwell one. Dark, wide and in the middle of no where.

Been researching the legal requirements of reporting hitting an animal. Seems like accidents involving pigs, cattle, sheep, horses, asses, goats, mules and dogs should be reported as owning such 'livestock' and not keeping it under proper control is an offence.

I am guessing this was somewhere on the Dearne Valley Parkway,

Yeah just before the last 'non real' roundabout before the Hoyland / Birdwell one. Dark, wide and in the middle of no where.

Been researching the legal requirements of reporting hitting an animal. Seems like accidents involving pigs, cattle, sheep, horses, asses, goats, mules and dogs should be reported as owning such 'livestock' and not keeping it under proper control is an offence.

I would definitely report it, bad enough you hit a dog, but why was he there with a sledgehammer?,what had he been using that for?

I know exactly where you mean, hard to think of a legitimate reason for being there, don't think it is a shortcut between Birdwell and Hoyland.

Rich

A nice welcome to the new year. Unlucky Paul it is sad when you hit something but in a way a good thing you didn't see it as you might have swerved to avoid and that could have been a lot worse

hey Paul, reall sorry to hear this pal

i really absolutely love dogs, but their wellbeing is always the owners responsibility; you shouldn't take any of the blame on yourself. i know that won't make you feel much better about it, just that's my opinion (and also the law afaik!)

i do know that if you hit a dog off it's lead that belongs to someone that you can trace, then it falls to the owner to explain why they weren't in control of their dog at the time, and the dog's owner is actually liable for any damage done to the car. that certainly was the law unless it's changed.

either way, hope you and Judith are feeling a bit better about it all now - best just forget it ever happened (but before you do that, to echo the points of others above; i would still report it)

take care pal

that's not nice, maybe the guy was out with his sledgehammer to put it down and thought your car would do the job better? its a shame it happened to you but its entirely the owners fault..

Christ, I was about 2 foot from hitting a dog today! :pale:

Driving home from work, someone thought it was a good idea to walk their dog in the dark, on a single track road, with no lead on an icy road!! So glad I stopped in time, pulled over and gave the owner a strong warning about keeping his dog on a lead. Noone wants to take their own dog to a vet, and noone wants to hit one!

Perhaps so Kip, but if he clocked your Reg, the dog suffers and the guy decides, vindictively, to report the incident, it could cause you a deal of grief.

If the guy looked rough, possibly a vagrant, then police won't expect him to have given detail of address etc.

Might your insurers request an incident number?

I don't normally hold with ar*e covering [there's enough energy and public money spent on it already!] but in this case you'ld be simply doing the correct thing.

Sorry to hear of the prob, but sh*t happens. :(