Sign in to follow this  
Steve Storm

Ice Grey Violet 8v - Page 2 Dyno Plot

I've been meaning to put a thread together about my Storm for awhile, but never got around to it. I've recently bought a Ice Grey Violet Corrado 8v (the second 8v that I've owned) and while I'm still inspired, I thought I'll put something together for the new car.

I've had several Corrado's over the last 10 years. My favorite by far has been my Mystic Blue Storm which I've had for over 4 years. Over this time I've spent thousands on it and due to its great condition I only drive it between 500-1000 miles a year, and only in the dry. Over the winter months I wrap the Storm in a Permabag and store it in my garage. Near the end of May when the days are longer and the temperature starts to warming up again, I take it out from storage to enjoy it for the short summer months.

As a daily driver I have a boring but yet trusty and economical 2001 Polo 1.4 8v. With the Storm sitting in my garage for most of the year, I have found that I was getting withdrawal symptoms from not driving it. Due to this, I've been toying with the idea of getting another Corrado as my daily for some time now. What I wanted out of my new daily was it for it to be as economical as possible. I know what people are thinking that economical and Corrado's don't go together in the same sentence, especially as the minimum age for them now are 15 years. I wanted a model that had the best fuel economy and was in good condition, so I decided to wait until I found a nice 2.0 8v. After a long search, I found one in November which was in very good condition. Although in great condition there are a few minor bits to sort out which I'll document on this thread. I know the 8v will never return around 45 mpg like the Polo, but I should get between 33-38 mpg. Although the 8v is not a VR6, its still got its rewarding and enjoyable road handling that I love and something the the Polo never had.

Anyway, enough with my life story. Here are the photos...

Corrado92.pdf1.jpg[/attachment:k8v7vtjr]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf2.jpg[/attachment:k8v7vtjr]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf3.jpg[/attachment:k8v7vtjr]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf4.jpg[/attachment:k8v7vtjr]

5.JPG[/attachment:k8v7vtjr]

ito am getting withdrawls from not driving mine :(

looks in good condition, maybe a little too high for me though, i would lower it and do this and do that (exactly why i wont be buying a corrado for a daily :lol: )

looks cool mate

dont think i could put mine in to hibernation i enjoy driving it too much

i drive mine on a rotation with my bmw one week the corrado the next week the bmw

get the best of both worlds that way :D

Nice one and (except for the 8v colour) SNAP.

I thought about this one late last year but a few things put me off as I was looking for a more standard example.

Glad to see that is was bought by someone who will properly appreciate it.

I've had an 8v as a daily for a few years now and Kip has had his for just over a year and as you say, it helps with the Corrado withdrawl symptoms that can occur as we are lucky enough not to have to drive our VRs around in the winter.

Wish I could say my Storm is tucked up beautifully for winter but I drove back from D&G 15th Dec, then had to go to Bristol and the drive has been covered with snow & ice ever since. :(

Thanks for the comments. There are a few non standard bits that almost put me off the car. It has a AMD rechip and map, its had Kent cams installed at one point and after market suspension. I find the Supersprint exhaust too noisy and would like to get a Magnex if I can source one. There is also a massive boot stereo system which was lowering the ride height by about an inch or more and probably increasing the MPG by 5 to 10.

I've got the original chip and will be putting it back to a standard map at the next service. I've removed the boot stereo and its on the list to put to standard. The suspension is Koni TA with Eibach springs. The ride is a bit unforgiving and I wish it was standard to be honest. I've had Steathracing raise the rear by a notch and replace the front top mounts. Apart from those bits the body has absolutely no rust apart from a small area on the door where someone must have knocked it when opening the door. The underseal is all intact and surprising at the top of the rear suspension there is no rust at all :D

It was good reading this thread but I think your Storm does deserve it's own members gallery page. It was certainly looking v.shiny at the Maidenhead gathering a few months back. Anyway in regards to the 8v looking forward to seeing how you get on - good luck.

o yeah i love the colour too lol.. very nice base mate. Any plans for her?

I love us lads all jump on the thread as soon as we see it 'ice grey violet' in the title lol.

Paint looks to be in very good nick btw...

I love us lads all jump on the thread as soon as we see it 'ice grey violet' in the title lol.

Paint looks to be in very good nick btw...

I know its great :D

I think its because its not a common colour but its the best :grin:

Thanks again for the nice comments everyone :D I'm surprised how much I love the colour :luvlove: The pearl effect look great in the sun and I don't have to go crazy getting rid of the water marks after a wash like I do with the Storm.

There is a long list of things that I would like to do with the car. Some of them I've already completed, since purchasing it two months ago. I really want it to be clean and tidy. I got the Storm as the money pit so don't want to go crazy on the 8v.

Here's my list of to do's...

Ignition switch playing up - Done

Swap complete interior to black - Carpets done, interior trim purchased off _leon_ on forum. Thanks Leon!

Rattle coming from passenger door (sounds like the door pin) - Done

Heater blower won't work on the feet setting.

Adjust rear light cluster alignment - Done

Replace Aerial base seal - Done

Removal of boot stereo amps and put back to standard - Done

Remap and rechip to standard.

Handbrake not very effective – MK4 rear caliper purchased of eBay. To be fitted at next MOT

Supersprint exhaust slightly blowing - Sealed

Completed bits :grin:

New front tires – Done. Fitted Toyo 205/40/17 - T1-R

Visited Stealthracing for the following to be done - Replace lower wishbone and all front bushes including suspension top mounts, bump stops and Anti-roll bar drop links. 4 Wheel Alignment.

Oil change and filter – Parts Purchased – Done at Stealthracing

Coolant change – G12+ Purchased – Done at Stealthracing

Refit bottom ducting to air box – Done at Stealthracing

Uprated headlight loom fitted and replaced sidelight bulbs at Stealthracing

Rear suspension raised by 1 notch.

Replaced Cam cover breather grommet that was causing a slight leak of oil

Replace foliage cover seal – Done

Replace NSF cracked indicator – Purchased from eBay and Fitted

Isolate the water leak into passenger NSR – Was found to be the door seal - replaced with new door seal.

Inspect and wash K&N air filter - Done

Grill change to standard – Purchased from eBay - Fitted

Lupo GTI Wiper blade need changing – Purchased from VW and fitted

Rattle coming from near instrument gauge – Removed RF Modulator

Passenger seat recline knob - Refitted

Aerial Missing – Purchased from eBay

As you can see I've done quite a lot already. So far I've spent about £1000, not including the interior and the car is running great 8)

Hi, mate. couldn't help noticing when looking at your pics,that they were taken in John Cranes carpark? I left there in June last year after 14 years,and parking my three corrados in the same place over the years.Do you work there now? do tell! I'll keep a look out for you as I still frequent that area visiting family.

Hi, mate. couldn't help noticing when looking at your pics,that they were taken in John Cranes carpark? I left there in June last year after 14 years,and parking my three corrados in the same place over the years.Do you work there now? do tell! I'll keep a look out for you as I still frequent that area visiting family.

Sorry I don't know the place. I spotted it the other day while looking for somewhere to take photos. There aren't many scenic spots around here for good photos. I spotted the car park and thought it was a nice big area with good line to the sun, even though its winter and the sun it low into the horizon :D

I need to find some better photo shoot spots. Something with a nice backdrop and open enough area to not cast reflection on the body work. Don't suppose you know of any?

Its been awhile since I posted any updates. The most notable update has been that I have removed the grey interior and swapped it with black. Seems so much more comfortable now :D I haven't done the dash yet. I'm planning to tackle this when I have a free weekend and I know that the weather will hold out. To be honest it doesn't look much out of place with the rest of the interior.

I've bought a leather steering wheel off eBay and will be fitting it over this weekend. The rubber one just doesn't feel right.

A couple of weeks ago I made trip to Storm Developments and had the ignition barrel replaced which had been playing up since I bought the car. I also had the car on the rolling road to see how much it was pushing out as it has always seem to be so much more powerful than the other 8v that I had. The result was 130bhp :shock: not bad for a 2.0l 8v, standard is 115bhp. I'll post the graph once I have a chance to scan it in.

ETKA Corrado.pdfBefore 01.jpg[/attachment:349ocujk]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfBefore 02.jpg[/attachment:349ocujk]

Corrado92.pdfBefore 03.jpg[/attachment:349ocujk]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfBefore 04.jpg[/attachment:349ocujk]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfAfter 01.jpg[/attachment:349ocujk]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfAfter 02.jpg[/attachment:349ocujk]

After 03.jpg[/attachment:349ocujk]

Man i cant get over how good your paint looks mate! Get it detailed, the colour will really begin to pop then!

Thanks! I will need to give it a good polish sometime to show the paint in its full glory 8)

Get it detailed mate, the colour will look amazing, im sure ur paints better than mine and tbh my car comes up looking pretty damn good once ive finished detailing it!

Get it detailed mate, the colour will look amazing, im sure ur paints better than mine and tbh my car comes up looking pretty damn good once ive finished detailing it!

I need to get a decent polishing machine. Have you got any suggestions on one I should get? I bought one 5 years ago that plugs in the cigarette lighter that I never use. Its quite pathetic :lol:

I'm so glad to see my old corrado is being well looked after. I miss that car, I've moved to the US and they're almost impossible to find here. They were only released between 1990-1993.

I'm so glad to see my old corrado is being well looked after. I miss that car, I've moved to the US and they're almost impossible to find here. They were only released between 1990-1993.

Hey James! Good to hear from you :wave: I was going to send you a link to the thread but you beat me to it. As you can see I'm taking good care of the car :D I heard that Ice Grey Violet was never available to the US market, but you could get it in Canada.

I had it on the rolling road at Storm Dev. the other week. 130bhp :D are you sure they set the map to standard when they took the Kent cams off?

The only models available were G60 and VR6 2.8 12v SLC I think. Only 18000 were sold in USA and Canada which is nothing.

So I'm glad there were no problems other than a few minor ones which can be expected from a 15 year old car, I like what you've done with the interior. As far as I know the previous owner did the remap before any other performance mods, the cam was done later along with the port and polish. I took the cam out as it was causing problems. But yeah 130bhp sounds about right in fact I thought it had a bit more!

What's the problem with the exhaust?

So I'm glad there were no problems other than a few minor ones which can be expected from a 15 year old car, I like what you've done with the interior. As far as I know the previous owner did the remap before any other performance mods, the cam was done later along with the port and polish. I took the cam out as it was causing problems. But yeah 130bhp sounds about right in fact I thought it had a bit more!

What's the problem with the exhaust?

If the remap was done before the cams were changed and not after, it may be why it was causing issues. If that wasn't the case, it may be that the Kent cam was racing cams rather than fast road. Racing cams may be fine on the racing course but not for everyday driving.

The exhaust seemed quite loud and it was slightly leaking between all 3 joints. The leaking has now been fixed. I had all the interior out and that's why it seem really loud without all that soundproofing. Now its back in, its fine and I'll be keeping the exhaust :D