Sign in to follow this  
adwhitt

1 spark plug doesn't last very long!

i changed all 6 spark plugs back in september and the car was running fine. then last week it started being really jerky so i looked at the plugs and they were all fine apart from the one in the 6th cylinder which was covered in think dirty oily gunk. i changed it and now it runs fine again. when i changed them back in september this was the worst one then as well.

any ideas why this is?

Cheers

Oil coated spark plugs means you've got oil leaking into the combustion chamber, which IIRC could come from worn valve guides or even knackered oil seal ring on the piston

Cylinders 1 and 6 will generally be the worse of the 6, my number 6 is the worse generally. Really oily could be for the reasons suggested above, but a lot of VRs eat 1 and 6.

cheers guys.

I got the valve stem seals changed about 6 months ago. Are they not the same thing?

I wish i was a mechanic!!!

Bad luck fella, Two choices I'm afraid... Strip and rebuild or flog it quick and get a G60! :) every cloud and all that

No but I use it a lot at weekends. Still manage about 10k a year. Sadly not great. How much are we talking at a garage?

No but I use it a lot at weekends. Still manage about 10k a year. Sadly not great. How much are we talking at a garage?

Head off, pistons out, fit new rings, all back together = lots at a garage and I mean lots; I suspect well over £1000, and that is if the cylinders aren't scored and don't need a re-hone. If they do, then it's an engine out job really. :(

Does it use much oil? you could try a 15W in the summer if you are using 10W-40

For now I would just change that plug every 4-6 months (nice and cheap on a VR) and start saving!

VEGE exchange engines are roughly £1700

Just keep changing the plugs, its an old car with high miles things like this happen, just think of it as "character" :D

Save the pennies for 24v power.