Sign in to follow this  
streetpreache47

front engine mount

hi all,

i am in the process of sorting out all of the 'boring' bits on the C. It is a 1990 1.8 16V KR.

I believe that my front engine mount is shot as when I pull away it is almost as if the engine 'bites' twice i.e. it starts moving and then there is a bit of an engine based jolt as the engine seemingly rotates backwards.

i have two questions: -

1. Are there any tests I can do to check my mounts (I think I will do them anyway though)

2. How would i go about changing the front mount, is it an easy job to as to me it looks as though I can possibly loosen the mount, and then jack the engine slightly to remove the old one and replace. Unfortunately the manual I have only covers american vehicles such as VR6 and PG

Many thanks

Anthony

this link should help with question 1

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87673

as for question 2 IIRC you just loosen the mount (3 bolts- 2 bottom, 1 top) find something for the engine to rest on take it out then put the new one in and so on.

I'm shore some one with a lot more knowledge on this will add to this

PG (G60 corrado) has the same front mount as 16v if you're following bentley instructions.

If you get your hand under the alternator a physically lift the engine upwards if the front mount is shot you'll see the top of the mount lift up way further than the 1 or 2 cm it would if new. Equally as Jim said in the other thread, you could put it in gear with the brakes on and lift the clutch to biting point, engine will lift up a lot if the front mount has gone, need to get someone else to help watch/operate clutch obviously.

With the mount off the car it will be quite easy to see the problem, the worn mount will have the rubber splitting and breaking away front the top bolt and if it's the hydraulic filled type it may well have spat oil out.

The front mount is easy enough to do. I've done it a couple of times now and if I can do it without making a hash of it you should be ok :)