Sign in to follow this  
Mcr VR6

How to stick a new engine in a C?

Couple of questions about swapping a new-ish engine into a corrado, I'm just wondering how cheap you could get away with doing it... I've read a few of the bigger build threads and they all have their own quirks.

I love the corrado's looks and handling but all that petrol being burnt makes me guilty. Also, if it needs a £2k rebuild at some point I'd rather spend similar money on a younger engine. I don't have an engine in mind but one from a golf or an audi would be nice. I just saw a post elsewhere saying people had found 24v V8's for as little as £700.

So where's the best places to look for an engine?

Are there any problems taking a 8v/16v chassis and putting a 2.0+ engine into it, or does it need to be a VR frame? i.e. Is the drive train and everything similar to the VR?

Am I going to need expensive rads, coolers, fans and other bits on the engine or is it a case of using the new engines factory setup (if it fits)?

Obviously there's loads on the car that would need changing like the brake setup, engine mounts, and I imagine almost all the electrics (to match a newer ECU). What is going to add most to the cost tho?

I'm just looking for simple pointers to start with, to help me decide what engine I would be looking for. I'd probably avoid a turbo to 'keep it simple' first :tongue: so what else is common apart from the 20vt?

Shane

Thats a pretty wide question u asked there and too be honest u prob wont get many replies as its a topics thats been covered many times, use the search button or check the threads at the top of this section of the forum, Common transplants are R32, usually done into a vr6 or 20vt into g60/16v, but others are possible, someone on here is puttin a audi v8 into a rear wheel drive corrado, Best thing is to read up on each and asses your options

As for cost well that varies massively, depending on what u go for and wether u do the work yourself, what bargains u find etc, u'll find no-ones coast are the same even for the same transplant so but a few people might be able to give u rough figures. but as with most projects, they usually cost more than 1st thought

The last thing you want to do is scrimp on an engine conversion. Its false economy.

As said above the common ones are 1.8T into 16v/G60 or 24V V6 into VR6. Im assuming thats a typo in your post for 24V V8. The search function really is the best thing to use as this has come up many times before.

I've not had a conversion done but have considered it, i'm certainly no expert and everything I've picked up has been read on here so the info's there for the taking, from people who actually know what they're on about, but I'll try my best :lol:

I love the corrado's looks and handling but all that petrol being burnt makes me guilty. Also, if it needs a £2k rebuild at some point I'd rather spend similar money on a younger engine. I don't have an engine in mind but one from a golf or an audi would be nice. I just saw a post elsewhere saying people had found 24v V8's for as little as £700.

I think for a 24v conversion you're looking at a fair bit more than £2k including the engine :(

So where's the best places to look for an engine?

Forums,ebay,breakers, thats pretty much it!

Are there any problems taking a 8v/16v chassis and putting a 2.0+ engine into it, or does it need to be a VR frame? i.e. Is the drive train and everything similar to the VR?

You're better off sticking to a 6 cylinder engine in a 6 cylinder car as a rule of thumb, so people converting 8v,16v,g60s tend to go for 4pots (1.8 20vt) and those converting VR6's go for 24v 2.8's and R32s on the whole

Am I going to need expensive rads, coolers, fans and other bits on the engine or is it a case of using the new engines factory setup (if it fits)?

It'll depend on the engine and who does the conversion I suppose, but in most cases I think you can use most of the standard parts with things like you've mentioned but sometimes custom mounts/exhaust manifolds etc have to be made or bought.

Obviously there's loads on the car that would need changing like the brake setup, engine mounts, and I imagine almost all the electrics (to match a newer ECU). What is going to add most to the cost tho?

Again not an easy question to answer, brakes can be left but its sensible to improve them if you're upping your power significantly, electrics is a case of how you want things done and how much you want to spend. Theres a on here who was talking about a loom for 24v > VR6 conversions running on stock management but I don't remember the outcome.

I'm just looking for simple pointers to start with, to help me decide what engine I would be looking for. I'd probably avoid a turbo to 'keep it simple' first :tongue: so what else is common apart from the 20vt?

Like I said, for VR6's the most common engine used is the 2.8 24V and the R32

Have a look around on here, theres plenty of info to be found :norty:

Best advice I have ever been given (has been true most of the time), reagrding any big mods:

"Add up what you think it will cost you and double it! LOL"

Remember the cost of the engine is only one aspect, don't forget all the other bits you will need as well, e.g. ecu, pipework, mounts, brackets, wiring + comonents, remapping, new tools, new fluids etc etc even all costs of nuts and bolts add up mate!

Cheers guys,

Best thing is to read up on each and asses your options

aye, that's what I'll do. some of the threads are so long tho, I was just looking for the basics before i take hours looking at them!

The last thing you want to do is scrimp on an engine conversion... Im assuming thats a typo in your post for 24V V8

good advice, i've learnt the hard way on other things I've done... if it was a typo then it was someone else's, i'm sure that was what I read!

Have a look around on here, theres plenty of info to be found :norty:

Cheers for the various answers Walesy, all well noted, its a case of too much info on here to start with! lol.

Best advice I have ever been given (has been true most of the time), reagrding any big mods:

"Add up what you think it will cost you and double it! LOL"

And dammit, don't i just know you are 100% right... :D

Shane