Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Gearbox Whine On My T4

I'm not having much luck with my vehicles at the moment! The T4s gearbox has started to make a whining noise, I must admit i've been worried about the box for a while as the vans covered 150k and was originally 88bhp but is now running 130bhp! I've spent just under a grand on it in the last month having new brakes and the suspension sorted and this is how it repays me! :lol:

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be making the whine? Its rev related (gets louder/higher pitched the higher the revs) and it happens in every gear.

Im in a similar situation to the VR6 in that I don't want to do half a job on it as I intend to keep the van forever so Im reluctant to put a 2nd hand box on that could land me in the same position in a couple of years time - having said that I've priced up a new box and it comes in at £1500+VAT plus fitting which is a bit expensive tbh! I've found a company that supplies recon box's for £700 exchange - so that may be a better option, either that or maybe have my box rebuilt?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated :)

I'd get your box rebuilt mate, places have rebuilt mk2 boxes for around 200 to 300 quid. Sure your box wouldn't be that much more. New one is a bit overkill in my opinion.

Depends if you really want piece of mind i guess. :camp:

any noise from the box that increases with speed and does not disappear if you put your foot on the clutch while at speed is going to be layshaft or more likely diff bearings,or is it wheel bearing?

Nah it stops when I take it out of gear or stop accelerating, the garage I use also said its likely to be the diff bearings, are they easy/cheap to replace mate?

Jonny I expect it would cost a fair bit more than £300 to rebuild my box but if you know of any decent companies post the links up tbh!

Nah it stops when I take it out of gear or stop accelerating, the garage I use also said its likely to be the diff bearings, are they easy/cheap to replace mate?

Jonny I expect it would cost a fair bit more than £300 to rebuild my box but if you know of any decent companies post the links up tbh!

In that case it could be input bearings,or the lash between the layshaft and diff crown wheel is fluctuating under load causing the noise,either way the box will need to be stripped down to have all the main bearings replaced,but if you have had no experience on boxes then its worth having it rebuilt by "pro's"

Can you not find a used box?

Yeah I could source a used box but like I said I'm reluctant to do that as buying a 2nd hand box is pot luck! They seem to sell for around £300 but there's always the chance that I pay to have it fitted to find it's bust, or that it busts in a year or two!

The company I found that do recon boxes for £700 give a 12 month warranty so at least thats a bit of piece of mind I suppose.

Ask on Marines matey, AquaTim had his done recently well.

Sorry, did you just suggest that I ask for technical advice on Dub Marines? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only thing stopping me from just going with the company on ebay is that I cant find any info/reviews on them online, anyone here heard of them?

There is but I've heard bad things about them, I've just emailed the ebay company to ask for details of their rebuild (as in what parts will have been replaced in the recon box etc) so I'll see what they come up with!

Cheers for the replies :salute:

Ask on Marines matey, AquaTim had his done recently well.

Sorry, did you just suggest that I ask for technical advice on Dub Marines? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Merely suggesting that AquaTim may be of some help. :camp:

Next time i'll just post another unhelpful piece of sh*t yer benny.

I can highly reccomend gearlink services near me (Salisbury), they've reconditioned two gearboxes for me now, both times they let me inspect the box when it was stripped and showed me where any wear was etc, they are just really pleasant and professional people. They charged me £380 for my Corrado box, five years ago though which I thought was very reasonable.