Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

16v Cam Swap?

Thinking of swapping the cams in my 2.0 for some from a 1.8. I've heard it makes quite a difference to the power :twisted:

Has anyone done this? If so is it worth it?

Also, is it a straight swap or is there any other modification needed (ECU etc)?

Cheers

Thinking of swapping the cams in my 2.0 for some from a 1.8. I've heard it makes quite a difference to the power :twisted:

Has anyone done this? If so is it worth it?

Also, is it a straight swap or is there any other modification needed (ECU etc)?

Cheers

It doesnt really give you power - more like just changes the way the cam comes in.... 2.0 16V has mild cams so that it has plenty of mid range power.... putting 1.8 16V cams that are quite wild will effectively reduce mid range but the engine will come on 'song' at 4000rpm with a nice surge to boot.... it depends what you like...

Bear in mind the 1.8 cams are driven from a dizzy....

Cheers Scott. Probably best to leave it if that's all it does- I like the mid-range power in the 2.0!

Has anyone out there done this?

Fit two KR exhaust cams mate, makes a big difference and I guarantee you won't lose bottom end torque. Good for 165bhp and 145lb/ft torque.

Kev

94 VR6

Fit two KR exhaust cams mate, makes a big difference and I guarantee you won't lose bottom end torque. Good for 165bhp and 145lb/ft torque.

Kev

94 VR6

intresting!!!i have heard of one being fitted but never two...could be cool though!

How much £ would I be looking at? Would I need 1 or 2? Is it just plug and play, or do I need anything else?

Cheers

Cost would be the amount a breaker charges for two exhaust cams (yes, two exhaust cams) but you need to send one of them off (the one you're going to use for the inlet cam) to Stealth Racing as the end gear needs re-alignment. I think he already has some ready done, can't remember cost.

This is a trick the tuners used to do years ago to get a little more out of th 16V without spending a fortune on Shricks or getting the associated lumpy idle. Idle is unchanged with this 2 exhaust cam mod and many people, myself included, found bottom end improved also.

Fitting can be done by any competent home mechanic and would be a good time to do the chain too!

Speak to stealth about the exhaust cam for the inlet though as you can't just bung it in without the little mod first.

Kev

94 VR6

Cheers Kev, sounds the way to go. I'll give them a call and see whether I can afford it next payday!

Cheers

Cheers Kev, sounds the way to go. I'll give them a call and see whether I can afford it next payday!

Cheers

Can you put some details up when you've spoke to Stealth. This sounds like a very worth while mod. :lol:

tell me about it! Think I've finally found a buyer for my 1.8 16v, and I've got a nice 2.0 16v waiting. So far the 2.0 has had it's cat removed, clutch skimmed and flywheel lightend or unbalanced? I had a drive last night and the low end torque made it so much more drivable than the 1.8.

...but with 165bhp and 145lb....oooohhhhh!!!

Actually, thinking about it guys, only the inlet cam is different to the KR on the 2.0 engine, so you just need a KR - or another 2.0 - exhaust cam to replace the 2.0 inlet cam. Don't expect night and day differences but it definitely makes an improvement. 165ish brake is the norm for a de-cat'd 2.0 with KR cams, so you should get around that figure.

Kev

94 VR6

Just got an email from Vince at Stealth:

you can send the cam for the pulley to be modified for £75 + VAT.

5-10 BHP.

Hmmm... was expecting a few more horses :?

Don't think I'll be doing this, unless there are any other options?

Well results can vary but I know someone with this mod in his Golf 2.016v (Corrado sourced engine) and that puts out the 165bhp I mentioned.

You can add a vernier pulley to this conversion too if you like. Vince saw a 10ft/lb increase in torque across the whole rev-range on an Audi 2.0 16V using one of these pulleys.

Just got an email from Vince at Stealth:

you can send the cam for the pulley to be modified for £75 + VAT.

5-10 BHP.

Hmmm... was expecting a few more horses :?

Don't think I'll be doing this, unless there are any other options?

5-10 bhp for only £75 isn't that bad though

Yeh, it's not bad but add onto that the cost of the extra exhaust cam + vernier pulley and you'd be well over £200.