Im after:

reliablity

rust free

1995 on dont want older than 15 years

needs to be 150+bhp

hatch back/saloon and I dont want another BMW

so other than an obvious Mk3 VR6,

what do you think? any suggestions?

Yes, stretch to £3k and buy my Corrado VR6. VW reliability, rust free, 95, 190bhp, hatch back.... That's all those boxes ticked then.

Passat V6 4Motion - quick, comfortable, permanent four wheel drive - easily upgradeable in terms of suspension etc - mine was superb and regret selling it

Passat V6 4Motion - quick, comfortable, permanent four wheel drive - easily upgradeable in terms of suspension etc - mine was superb and regret selling it

Always fancied one of those, are they not haldex, i.e. fwd most of the time, 4wd/rwd when necessary?

No, the B5 and B5.5 Passat 4Motions use the Audi Quattro system, the V6 is the 30 valve Audi engine and not the VR

Within Volkswagen Group, transverse engined cars use the Haldex system, longitudinal engined cars use Quattro (permanent 4wd but variable split)

Lots of good cars in that price range! Golf V6 4Motion? Sure I've seen some around for that price..

Pug 306 GTI6 or Rallye? Not sure on general consensus but my mate had one and it was rust free and as reliable as any car I've known. It did like petrol though!!

Cheers all I've had my time in the corrado........ and loved the practicality of my old mk3 VR

I need the ability to put the back seats down though if necessary and use it as a work horse I do love the idea of the passat just the looks :( i will have a search though,

how much should i be paying for a 100k VR6 with history 5door in very good nick??

No, the B5 and B5.5 Passat 4Motions use the Audi Quattro system, the V6 is the 30 valve Audi engine and not the VR

Within Volkswagen Group, transverse engined cars use the Haldex system, longitudinal engined cars use Quattro

Cool, thanks for that.

Would also stick in a vote for a mid to late 90's era Merc... all kinds available and huge value for money not only in terms of ride quality but performance isn't bad on some of them as well.

My old man got a 1997 C240 estate a year or two back - solid bodywork all round, with leather, aircon, 2.4 litre engine... goes like a train once the revs build and despite it not quite being up to late 80's / early 90's Merc standards it's pretty good - he's not had any disasters yet.

Was only £1,500!!

Pug 306 GTI6 or Rallye? Not sure on general consensus but my mate had one and it was rust free and as reliable as any car I've known. It did like petrol though!!

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! As much as people may rave about them, French cars SUCK! My misses has a 206 and I detest it. Everything about it is awful - driving position, gear change, engine, road noise. Much better to stay with a German mark if you're after reliability too I think.

audi a3 1.8 T

So much car for the money. I even saw a 1.8t Quattro, with 70k miles, and leather, really smart for 2.5k recently.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! As much as people may rave about them, French cars SUCK! My misses has a 206 and I detest it. Everything about it is awful - driving position, gear change, engine, road noise. Much better to stay with a German mark if you're after reliability too I think.

I tend to agree mate with the exception of the 205 and the 306. Never known one to be completely unreliable, not german standard no, but not as bad as other french tin boxes. I would personally go German but he wanted ideas "other than the norm".

Cheers gents - didnt want something with a body kit on, and didnt really want a french (was always going to stay german imho, was looking at the alfa 156 2.5 v6, but couldnt bring myself to buy one,

So went with the MK3 Highline VR 96(N) -102,000 miles FSH VW and independants, no rust, heated leather works, tyres and brakes in vgc, was very impressed with the level of care by last owner, hardly any wear on drivers bolster, is totally standard, including air box and exhaust, its a 5Dr Black LC9Z - and I paid just under 2k for it, will post some pics up soon, feels quicker than my (95 3Dr) maybe its just because havent driven it for a while although i think that might of been OBD1 where this OBD2 :shrug:

Im happy so need to get her cleaned up then will show you some pics