Sign in to follow this  
lycara

Do vw do a steering rack exchange?

I need some help as my steering rack is has some play in it and it needs replacing I have very little money. Just wondering what my best option is as I have been quoted £300 to get it reconditioned :(

a PAS rack from a low mileage pre 2001 ibiza 16v/cupra or mk3 golf GTI/VR, will do the job fine, got one myself for about 30 quid, corrado VR's have the ribbed alloy bodied type rack but all golfs seem to have the steel bodied 4cyl corrado type, just different track rods to swap over.

try ringing VW, you may find they quote different prices for new .vs. exchange/recon, but don't expect it to be cheaper than £300

last time I rang about you could get a VW rack for about £150 exchange if you shopped about, try going direct to some of the hydraulics recon places you'll find searching the web, only thing is we've heard a range of experiences with recon racks as they use old (within-tolerance) parts with new seals etc.

Oh, and all of you, get your basic car details and location in your sig and profile :nono: :)

i have one that was recondioned about 4 years ago in the shed, bought it off e-gay a few years ago as the steering rack on my blackberry RIP vr6 was shot, but never fitted it.

corrado VR's have the ribbed alloy bodied type rack

Has anyone got a picture of this rack from an RHD car please? It's like rocking horse poo to find one :brickwall:

Both my cars are running recon racks for Eurocarparts and have been for years... seem to be fine but not sure if quality is still the same...

They used to be £125 + vat exchange