Sign in to follow this  
GRINGOG60

FLAMES OUT THE REAR!

Guys,

My freind and i were having a bit of a play on our local A road- he was following behind me in his MR2 turbo and as i hit about 5.5k in third and went to change i heard a big pop.

Later when we pulled up he said wow! Your car spat out fire from the exhaust which was obviously the pop i had heard. As much as you lot might think this cool (i do!) im a little worried as i i thik the car must of been seriously over fueling and letting petrol drip trough to the exhaust causing it to ignite like this

Anyone else had this before or know what the problem could be???

Could it be a faulty lamba sensor causing it to overfuel? should i have the car remapped as it was chipped over 4 years ago???

Its not down on power and still pulls like train...

The car has a Stage 4chrager + Amd chip + decat + custom exhaust and is on a strict diet of only optimax....

Any ideas chaps? Darren - you ever had this?

Shouldn't worry about it, it's just unburnt fuel vapours igniting in the hot exhaust piping. Usually occurs when you change gear and then floor it again.....my mate does it in his scoob deliberately! I used to get flame-outs in my 16V turbo and I knew for a fact the fuelling was spot on, so I've no reason to suspect yours isn't......might be worth getting it checked out professionally if it concerns you though, AmD might just have been a tad aggressive with the fuelling map :lol:

Cheers Kevhaywire- i think im going to take it to them to have it on the rollers and just make sure its ok, i think you might be right about them being a little aggressive with the fueling as the fuel consumption is shocking! - i get about 200mikles out of a tank but having said that i usually give it a good beating once a day! (the car that is!) :twisted:

Jees....that is running rich! I also used to shower the road with burning carbon particles from giving the engine death in every gear following a period of several short journeys. People behind soon fall back when you coat their bumper with glowing embers :lol: I miss my turbo :( There was something very rewarding about getting home after a good thrape and seeing the manifold glowing red :lol:

And err....back to topic....get AmD to lean the chip off slightly and see if that helps.

My G60 always pops flames from the exhaust at every gear change but it could be down to the fact that I have a spark plug wired into the back box :D looks wicked when your driving down an unlit piece of road and then booooff all the scenery behind you lights up :)

My G60 always pops flames from the exhaust at every gear change but it could be down to the fact that I have a spark plug wired into the back box :D looks wicked when your driving down an unlit piece of road and then booooff all the scenery behind you lights up :)

Ant you show pony!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I had the exact same thing with my jabba sport chip and it worried me. I think that the fueling map was a little to aggresive. I now have a SNS chip and it runs fine without flames!! :lol:

Another way of setting off flame-outs deliberatlely is to apply a very aggressive map at the bottom end and set the throttle butterfly so that it doesn't close fully.....That's what WRC rally cars do....keeps the turbine spinning when they change gear and on overrun.....you'll get awful driveabiltiy and shite idle....but check those flames!!

you should see the flames that come out of Brians(dubster82)G60 bloody mental and it sounds like a demon, somethin about those superchargers you know, hell evenmy 16v has had a wee bit of a back burn to it as well, i was so proud wen that happened :lol:

I would pay good money for a car that flames :twisted:

Dubwhizz is selling his Oettinger G60 Golf for £5K (ish) at the moment, and that spat 3 foot flames at the rolling road on Sunday! :? :lol: 8)

The guy sat in the boot didn't seem to quite believe my warning until it did it! :twisted: :lol:

There's a video in the rolling road section under Dubwhizz on FastPurple if you wanna see it! 8)

It's probably down to your cam and exhaust. It's so efficient at drawing in the charge that it's pulling (or blowing) it right through into your exhaust.

My mates mk2 8v crossflow trbo pops and spits flames all the time.

When I had the standard G60 with Jeroen Diks Chip and pulley and a Schrick Cam it would always pop! It was actually quite embarassing, every person on the street would look around. Always when I was changing gear and gunning it. Now with the R1 Charger, red injectors(Darren) and the SNS chip and pulley(Bilal), 4 branch and Intercooler I never get it now(the pop that is :D ). Kind of miss it.

It's probably down to your cam and exhaust. It's so efficient at drawing in the charge that it's pulling (or blowing) it right through into your exhaust.

My mates mk2 8v crossflow trbo pops and spits flames all the time.

Indeed, I saw an RS Turbo on Stealth's rollers....1900cc, massive turbo and ridiculous cams....when it came on boost at around 3K....there was a massive trough in the torque curve because the valve overlap was completely fecked up....boosted charge entered the cylinders and then went staight out of exhaust valves unignited. Quality workmanship :? BUT...when the revs reached 5000rpm....feckin ell....over 300bhp.

Totally undrivable.

K