Sign in to follow this  
sedwardsvr6

ABS light stays on

Hello,

This is my first post so be gentle.

Have not used my corrado vr6 for the last 8 months. Its just gone in for an MOT and the faults were ABS light on all the time and emmissions sky high.

I was thinking maybe the old fuel in the tank might be causing some of the problem?

Not sure on the ABS though?

Hope you can shed light on this as I,ve got to get it sold ASAP

Many thanks

Hello,

This is my first post so be gentle.

Have not used my corrado vr6 for the last 8 months. Its just gone in for an MOT and the faults were ABS light on all the time and emmissions sky high.

I was thinking maybe the old fuel in the tank might be causing some of the problem?

Not sure on the ABS though?

Hope you can shed light on this as I,ve got to get it sold ASAP

Many thanks

Get it down to someone who can put an OBD1 scanner on it. Usually the ABS sensors have gone. Less often, but likely, is the ABS brain has gone, usually due to water ingres. Least likely is the ABS pump and valve set. Follow that sequence. The fact that the ABS light has gone off is a clear sign that you will have a decent set of error codes. Find a place with a scanner, ask for the diagnosis to be done. It usually costs no more than £30-40 from a back street repair shop...

Since the car have been sitting for a while make sure there isn't any "buildup" of dirt/rust between the ABS-sensors and the rotors (the sensors are magnetic remember) - but offcours a good chance one of em is long gone.

Regarding the high emission - I had a similar problem with my Passat VR6 (was sky high) - when I scanned it with VAG-COM it came up with some errors on the O2 sensor - but as that was quite new I wasn't confident that that sensor had failed. Went on the net and found a manufacturer of O2 sensors that had a procedure for "cleaning" the sensor - if it maybe had gotten dirty by "oil" or similar.

Can't remember exactly rpm's etc, but it was something along the lines of take the car for a "hard drive" to get it hot as possible, stop, and put it in neutral.

Rev it up to roughly 3000 rpm's and hold it there for about 1-1.5 minutes. After that I think it was just to take the revs slowely down - delete the errors with vag-com again and take it for a spin to see if they come back.

After I did this with the Passat it didn't threw any more errors, and when it got tested again it was well under the limit on emmission side - it has even passed another control 2 years later - still with the same sensor/cat etc :)

agreed it needs a scan to find the abs fault code and as said its a sensor thats prob at fault and are easy to change

but the emisions if the scan does not mention a faulty 02 sensor or maf sensor get your self a new cat and it will pass the emisions no probs

chances are its buggered and if you know its had a new coil pak if deffo buggered as unburnt fuel kills cats

They sit on the wheel hub, they are fastened with one allen bolt.

You see the cable going from them and to the top of the strut mount in the front..

Thanks for all your feed back and advice.

I've got the ABS tested with a diagnostics machine and the Front LHS sesor is not working, got one on order and hopefully thats a tick in the box.

I've changed the coolent sensor on the engine, i've been told this is a common fault which makes the engine run rich as it thinks its still on warn up so over compensates with more fuel.

When i had the diagnostics done they said the idle rev sensor was also playing up but cannot find this in my factory repair manual so will put through a MOT again when i've fitted the ABS sensor and go from there......

Again thanks for your help and if anyone knows anything else to look at for the emmissions it would be appriciated

Cheers