Sign in to follow this  
MikLSP

Opinions On Corrados For Sale Elsewhere

My apologies if there is already a topic like this (I didn't find one) or if it's not wanted but I thought it might be worth sharing opinions on cars which are for sale elsewhere e.g. Auto Trader, Pistonheads etc.

There are a lot of people with vast experience on viewing Corrados here and I'm sure some of that knowledge will help out those of us who are less seasoned at spotting good/bad cars right from the off. Also I think it'd worth passing on any info gained from viewing a car...perhaps in conjunction with the fantastic pre-viewing idea we can save people lots of time and worry.

So post here any cars you'd like a second opinion on or any information you think is worth sharing on cars you may have seen.

========================================================================================================

Firstly there is the main reason I started this topic:

I've noticed this car on Pistonheads which seems like a potential good deal but my concerns are whether the faults are only those described in the ad.

The ad states that there's "a problem with the front suspension setup" due to aftermarket shocks and springs and while the original suspension is provided with the car I can't understand why the owner wouldn't simply put them back on himself and fix it both for his own benefit and to make the sale.

Secondly the car miss fires, supposedly due to needing new HT leads but again why would anyone NOT simply change them if they were the only cause of the problem.

My worry is that while it seems like the problems are easy fixes, they may turn out to be something worse. What do you guys think...simple jobs or hidden dangers?

========================================================================================================

Secondly I recently viewed this Corrado in Liverpool and learnt that I should ask more questions before going to look.

Good Points:

Engine bay looked decent

No timing chain rattle

Seller honestly answered all questions when I was there (shame he didn't mention the following in the ad or on the phone)

Bad points:

Huge gouge down to the metal along the NS door which is also dented in for at least half it's length

Missing paint and rust on NSR arch

Inverted dent in the bonnet as though it was slammed shut on something

Front bumper needs respray

Cracked grille

Cracked rear numberplate surround

Window rubbers coming away

ABS light stayed on

Heard a clunk from gearbox when restarting the engine!

To be honest it was immediately apparent that this car needed plenty of work so I didn't check the rest of the car over that thoroughly but I hope that gives an idea of what to expect if you're considering taking a look at this one.

Cheers,

Mik

I got my car off PH and all ways Kosha, guy I got it off had it since 95 (built in 94) open and honist about every thing. Like most things it all depends on the person your buying it off.

Andy you been at this car as well :lol: :grin:

Yeah, that's why I'd rather deal with enthusiasts than people who don't care about a car.

I'm certainly no Corrado expert and I'm yet to own one but I guess you have to start somewhere and am learning all the time :)

Yeah, that's why I'd rather deal with enthusiasts than people who don't care about a car.

I'm certainly no Corrado expert and I'm yet to own one but I guess you have to start somewhere and am learning all the time :)

best bit of adivse I can offer you ( not alot tbh but) try and buy one off a established forum member as it will have loads of history on here and will defo be a enthusiasts selling it :D

Entirely agree there but of course I have to balance that with what I can afford ;)

That is true also, but basicly if it feels right it is 8)

Well, the only photo shows a car on standard suspension, so I'd want a few more pics, especially with the "too low" ride height. Which should not cause undue tyre wear, unless the camber or tracking is well out. The HT leads may be at fault, but just as well could be an excuse for what is a different, more expensive problem.

Its an ok price i guess if the bodywork and interior are so mint, but no mot, possible engine and handling problems... :shrug:

If it was me thinking about the car, I'd want to see a recent MOT failure report - so you know what you are letting your self in for MoT wise.

I'd also want to see if the seller would let me change some/all of the HT leads if a deal was close, but wanted to check the health of the engine before commiting. If he wouldn't be willing to let me look at this, I would suspect something fishy. It's always a possibility that he didn't reseat a lead correctly when he changed the plugs as they can be awkward to do without the proper tool.;

As with most things mate you get what you pay for......if you're looking at bargain basement VR6's then you're asking for trouble in my opinion........

Secondly I recently viewed this Corrado in Liverpool and learnt that I should ask more questions before going to look.

Good Points:

Engine bay looked decent

No timing chain rattle

Seller honestly answered all questions when I was there (shame he didn't mention the following in the ad or on the phone)

Bad points:

Huge gouge down to the metal along the NS door which is also dented in for at least half it's length

Missing paint and rust on NSR arch

Front bumper needs respray

Cracked grille

Cracked rear numberplate surround

Window rubbers coming away

ABS light stayed on

Heard a clunk from gearbox when restarting the engine!

To be honest it was immediately apparent that this car needed plenty of work so I didn't check the rest of the car over that thoroughly but I hope that gives an idea of what to expect if you're considering taking a look at this one.

Cheers,

Mik

a wee bit of Corrado history that one

[youtube:35h5sobx] [/youtube:35h5sobx]

times and owners haven't been kind for that one :(

robbed of its black leather recaro interior and replaced with an early cloth interior

the second one is a walk away job.

The first one is interesting. Say 1,400 / 1,500 cash for the car, I'd be getting an AA check done. They highlight the real issues and you'd know there and then if it's worth further thought. Could be they say she needs this, this and this , but apart from that she's in good shape - you'd have a choice to make. Given total fix-up costs don't stretch beyond it being worth your while. Maybe just a few hundred to get her ship shape?

she's got good mileage (if proved), interior sounds good, colours favourable etc. These ads are spot on for people with garage space/time & know how - they can turn these rough stones into diamonds.

However, as per above, looking for basement price VR6's is a dangerous game - but, every so often, one comes along that's priced like this, and really there's only a few niggles to sort out. Question is, can you spot it!!

Thanks for the replies, I had considered taking a set of HT leads to test if I was going to look at it but I'm thinking it may be a risk I'd rather avoid (hence asking your thoughts while deciding)

@ gregulate

I'm probably looking to spend up to £2,750 but of course cheap deals always catch the eye ;)

@ vr6storm

wow, nicely spotted! It's a shame to see the toll time has taken on that car but it's apparently had 18 owners which is never going to help!

@ sprinterVR6

I did decide against the second one and thought I'd share the info for anyone else who'd seen it advertised.

As for can I spot it the rough diamond...that would be a no as I'm just getting into Corrados after being a long time admirer but don't yet have experience of owning and maintaining them. :confused4:

@ delfinis

which site do you mean?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/

not too many on there this week.. but there always seems to be a steady flow of quality / well looked after corrado's.

Although they seem to demand a higher premium than the one's on P/H and autotrader... which is maybe a good thing especially in my case. :D if i was to sell it would be through the CCGB or on car and classic.

Thought the one for 5k in Ireland seemed pretty good considering the miles, leather interior, etc..

As for can I spot it the rough diamond...

They don't exist I'm afraid. Cheap VR6 Corrados are cheap for a reason.

No one can lay out the red carpet to your perfect car for you. We all have to take risks.

Well looked after VR6s the seller is proud to stand by are in the £4-£5K territory at the moment. I certainly wouldn't get one that's under £3K personally, but as others have said, if you're instincts tell you it's as good as it can be for the money and seems genuine, you'll just have to chance it.

I didn't expect anyone to lay out a red carpet to the ideal car, this thread is intended to help me but also anyone else who would like to ask for similar advise.

As for the price, it's not just a question of quality, it's what you can afford and I'm afraid I don't have £5k to spend on a car so have to look at vehicles which are realistically priced in my budget.

There's no easy answer to this, if you have only a limited budget (and we all realistically have to work to a budget) you will undoubtedly find some cheaper examples out there. However it is very likely they will require some attention and TLC and sadly in the case of Corrados a lengthy list of jobs to do can often cost more than the car, so often the best car you can find may not have the cheapest asking price but may work out far more cost effective.

You just have to get a good idea of the likely costs of getting the car sorted before commiting to buy, the costs can soon escalate that is why apparently complete cars are increasingly being broken rather than sold as potential buyers realise the potential outlay and a breaker can bring strong money in sought after parts.

Guess it depends on your priorities too.. like many folks on here, a Corrado to me isn't just a car but it's my hobby. I don't spend money on it with any expectation that i'll reclaim a penny of it - I just spend it on the car because I like it. In fact I dread to think what I've lost on my 2.0 16v in the years I've had it... spend thousands on parts and maintenance and I know it's worth less than I even paid for it! :)

im spending a fortune on mine at the moment and have uprated the brakes and renewed all the running gear uprated suspension and now doing a 9a with gas flowed head! because its my Hobby, I will never get the money back i have spent but its my hobby :) After all its a 16 valve so its worth nothing :)

After all its a 16 valve so its worth nothing :)

Aint that the (painful) truth!

Yes jim but i would be the same if i had a VR, A corrado with any engine in is still a fun car to me and i dont care how much its worth because i wont be selling it :) i`ve had it 8 years as it is, The Mrs would leave me if i sold it :) Consolation maybe :grin:

Yes jim but i would be the same if i had a VR, A corrado with any engine in is still a fun car to me and i dont care how much its worth because i wont be selling it :) i`ve had it 8 years as it is, The Mrs would leave me if i sold it :) Consolation maybe :grin:

The difference between a Corrado vr6, G60 or valver can be best explained like this.

If Megan Fox ( or any other fit girl for that matter) was one of a set of triplets and they all had slightly different Bra sizes. VR or G60 being one of the biggest sizes and Valver being slightly less.

You would probably prefer the one with the bigger boobs but at the end of the day they all still look like Megan Fox and you wouldnt kick any of them out of bed for farting

just like the Corrado still looks the same no matter what engine it has.

My 2p 8)

The difference between a Corrado vr6, G60 or valver can be best explained like this.

If Megan Fox ( or any other fit girl for that matter) was one of a set of triplets and they all had slightly different Bra sizes. VR or G60 being one of the biggest sizes and Valver being slightly less.

You would probably prefer the one with the bigger boobs but at the end of the day they all still look like Megan Fox and you wouldnt kick any of them out of bed for farting

just like the Corrado still looks the same no matter what engine it has.

My 2p 8)

Er... right....