carrots

battery isolator

has anyone fitted a battery isolator.i dont use my car car much in the week and this make the battery go flat.ive been told i should fit an isolator switch and turn the power off if the car is standing for a few days.

I'd consider a battery maintainer or trickle charge over pulling the plug on all the electrics regularly, this has been covered quite a bit recently. Not sure how good the solar chargers are that you can connect to the cig lighter socket?

I have used a Richbrook Dis-Car-Nect in the past with great results as it totally isolates the battery when you remove the screw in knob. The down side is that you lose radio memory, clock setting etc. and possibly your alarm depending on how it is wired. Check out the ad below. You can use the by-pass link to keep the radio etc alive but if you omit it all the electrics are dead.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Richbrook-DIS-C ... B0019ULCPW

thats the type of thing i was thinking of,ive seen something a bit like it on ebay.the solar charger seems a good idea aswell.has anyone used that

Got a slight drai on my battery. Had a couple of people look and said it is tiny and shoudn't cause the battery to die...but it does if left for a week or so. Replaced battery and checked alternator. Thinking of getting a dis-car-nect but want to know if I connect the fuse link (to maintain memory of radio etc) will the drain still be there or should I just fit it without the fuse link? Bored of getting flat batteries every time I don't use the key.

I didn't know that isolators existed, but I would have thought a trickle charger is the best option? I have always used one on my motorbikes to keep the battery healthy.

i dont need 0ne now i found the problem to be my alpine radio draining it.i took a live off the ingnition key and its fine

Car was fine for a year and nothing has been changed so it is a fault. I think it is intermittent as AA have looked for a drain twice and a good auto electrician said it was all fine. Now my clocks etc are resetting to zero all the time so there is definitely a short or something. At least the isolator will stop it going flat I suppose. I can't trickle charge it unless I used a solar charger. The dis-car-nect isolator cost £7 or so delivered from ebay so it is definitely worth having anyway...even if I need to disconnect a battery for any reason.

Joey - could just be a bad battery... have it tested at Halfords with the Bosch tester and then ask them to check the car also...

Joey

solar panel are dear i paid £45 for mine and you can ethier risk it and have no regulator on it or another £30 to £40 to get a reg for them but once fitted your good for life cus they never break down but that sort of investment is really only for the classic car owner who keeps it off road for like 2-3 months at a time like mine was

id go with the new battery or trickle charger if you cant find the drain

stu ...