Sign in to follow this  
Typhy

ne1 got any experiance with the williams clios?

was looking into getting one and jsut wondered if any1 had any experiance or advice on what to look for or general info

thanks luke

was looking into getting one and jsut wondered if any1 had any experiance or advice on what to look for or general info

thanks luke

first thing to look at, and it's obvious but just to say it..

look at the car papers and check the engine is a 2.0. There are people trying to sell 1.8 16v clios with the williams look (body color, interior, etc).

early willis are more expensive due to the numeration, but who matters anyway?

look for one with oem rims. the rims only are sold at about 1.000€ (at least, in Spain). if it has aftermarket rims, then you can try to get a discount !!

agree with leonard. they are quite high on my list of cars to own before death! i love em. as said make sure they have been looked after and dont let anyone cop you off with a 1.8 williams ;) when i had my clio the place to be was cliosport.net but i dunno if that is still going?

I had one and it was a second generation model. It was one the best cars I have owned fun wise. I used to work out in the country and felt like Hannu Mikkola driving home on those roads. Fair to say that considering I drove it like I'd stolen it (the car dictated that, not me) every time I drove it, it stood up very well indeed.

It will feel like driving a paper cup with an engine compared to the Corrado though. I went the other way and "sold up" to a Corrado (or what felt like a tank).

Things to look for (but not exhaustive).

Wheels - Came with diamond cut lips (good way to spot either repaired or damaged wheels).

Plastic front wings so rust shouldn't be an issue.

Rear wings are where they start to rust (badly) And can even start rusting up in the arch and through to the outside. unless it's been stored in a Carcoon or done half a dozen miles then it will have had arch work.

Drive the car in second to about 4k and let off the loud pedal. If it pulls out of gear then it may be the engine mounts but can also be mis-diagnosed as a gear fork selector.

They drink alot of oil. Best to get a friend at Opec.

Cambelt is a big job and can easily be "forgoten about" by some owners. The part is peanuts but the labour involved is extensive.

I had a cambelt break and made the now regrettable action of turning the engine over. I was lucky as it only bent three rods and block survived.

The aerial is huge and can eventually wobble loose. This lets water into the roof where the interior light switch is and can damage the electrics. Pop the cover off and have a poke around.

They are generally relaible cars and share most parts with the more popular 16v but they are after all at least 14 years old now.