Sign in to follow this  
greasegriff

Which pads and discs?

Probably a very simple answer but I have upgraded my front brakes to the 288mm variety. What discs and pads do I need to replace what is now on these?

I've been looking an Red/Green Stuff pads as a compromise on price/quality. What car should I be matching these too? A Mk 4 Golf? Is that what the 288mm calipers would have come from?

Also, not really sure what discs I need.

Any help from knowledgeable people would be great!

Still struggling with this guys...

I'm not sure what calipers I have. Are Mk3 and Mk4 Golf calipers basically the same in that you can put the same pads & discs on both?

reds with OE discs are very very good.

So what am I getting? These (DP3981C)

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/parts_pad.asp?part=pad&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=Golf&year=2%2E8+VR6+%2892%2D95%29#

And are 288mm VW discs just generic?

no you will need 95-98 golf mk3 ones assuming they came off a mk3 golf. same part also listed for early mk4 1.8t so id assume this is most likely what your after.

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/parts_pad.asp?part=pad&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=Golf&year=2.8+VR6+%2895-98%29

the early vr6 used 280mm, different calipers etc.

offsets could be different on the discs. worth having a look at the part number stamped on top of your caliper (should be ate) just to be certain.

Right, I stopped being lazy and messaged the guy I bought them off.

Late Mk 3 VR6 Golf apparently. So I'll be on the hunt for EBC Redstuff pads and drilled & grooved discs. Let the search begin!

if you mean surface driled like the ebc discs then thats cool but dont go looking for fully drilled - grooves are all you need.