Sign in to follow this  
jpowell79

fair price for a fan belt/cahin swap?

I need to have my fan belt replaced, and I may as well get the chain done as well (seems ok, but would be nice to get it done for peace of mind seeing as my car's done 145k) ...... whats a fair price for the work?

they are chains on a VR6 and as the gearbox has to come off to change them then you would be wasting an opportunity not to replace the clutch at the same time. doing both including parts and labour starts at around £750 depending where you go (ie around £350 for genuine parts and £400 for 7-8 hours labour).

for chains and clutch you would be looking at 900-1200 i would think

That's about right. Will shortly be booking my car in to DG for this. I'm not a big tecchie wizz but they replace some parts with Mk4 Golf 2.8 bits which are more robust.

mk4 chain guide(s), not sure if its 1 or 2?

i would get your car down DG if you are really considering sorting it out, i am taking mine there even though they are miles away...

I did the "Stealth big 3" 5 or 6 years ago, which was the chains, head rebuild and clutch and it felt like a new engine afterwards.

I think it was around £1500 all in at the time, IIRC.

example prices at The Phirm on this page, so parts/labour split is slightly different to my estimate, but you can see it starts at around £700 plus vat