Sign in to follow this  
mikkijayne

Do I have ABS or ABS with EDL?

Hi guys,

I'm retro-fitting the ABS system from a '93 VR6 to my TDI but I can't work out whether it has the electronic diff lock or not :confused4:

The ECU has part number 1H0 907 379. Etka says that number with a 'D' suffix is just ABS, and 'E' suffix is ABS with EDL, but mine has no suffix at all. Is there any other way to tell?

Hello - if you search under 'part number' rather than doing an ATP then it will show you what it supersedes to.

I think that one is not EDL and the one with a B suffix is IIRC -

You're not missing much anyway, EDL was a fairly basic version of Traction control, if you want it I would fit one of the kits that Vince mentioned in the Stealth Turbo thread.

Ah yes thanks. It does supersede to B, and doesn't have EDL.

Not a great loss, but it would have been nice to have once I start modding the TDI. The ABS is the important thing anyway.

:)

You're not missing much anyway, EDL was a fairly basic version of Traction control.....

....which only worked up to 16 km/h

If you're going to the trouble of retro fiting ABS, I'd be tempted to use the system from a newer car. But the VR6 system is reliable enough and works, but it contributes to quite a mushy and long pedal.

Well I have all the factory stuff from the VR6, so it ought to just plug in and work. I did think about a later system, but at this stage (and for this car) I don't really want the hassle of integrating the electronics etc.

Tbh the only reason I want ABS is to handle the muddy lanes round Devon, where you have to stop suddenly to let people past. I've never needed it in any other situation, but there is a marked difference in how fast my A6 pulls up compared to the Corrado on the lanes.

Yeah I know what you mean, the farmers around here have made a right mess of the local roads. Mud at least an inch deep in places!!

One thing I would say about the VR6 ABS is it's not intrusive and feels quite effective, if not the nicest of feelings on the pedal when it's working!