gripper924

steering rack

I have been making enquiries about renewing the steering column and found a non-adjustable one brand new is about £100 plus same again to fit (maybe + VAT).

However, the last MOT questioned the steering rack, which sounds expensive.

So I have 3 questions:

1. Has anyone changed a steering rack and how long does it take (a mechanic, not me!)?

2. Does anyone have an idea where I can get a good one, recon or new, for a reasonable price?

3. Would I be wise to change the rack at the same time as the column? I don't know how desperate the rack is, but you can feel the steering is looser than it used to be.

comments appreciated,

thanks,

Pete

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=88593&p=1024545&hilit=steering+rack#p1024545

rack is not a quick job as subframe has to come down, which means supporting engine, couple of hours work even on a 2 post workshop ramp, column can be done at same time or separately and is a fairly easy DIY job although drilling out the original shear bolts to the dash is a pain.

Why do you want to replace the column? If there's play anywhere its more likely to be in the rack than the column itself (in my experience).

Why do you want to replace the column? If there's play anywhere its more likely to be in the rack than the column itself (in my experience).

The adjustable columns on some high miles cars (or ones with big wheels / offsets etc) are showing wear now - my steering on the TDI was completely transformed after changing to a fixed column amnd it had already had most parts replaces ones including the rack, Track rods all the bushes etc

Thanks for point on it being more likely the rack. Could put a different perspective on the problem.

Re transforming steering by replacing the column - you say you'd already replaced the rack - was that expensive?

I am fearful of a big expensive job.

Any tips on where to get a replacement?

Thank you both.

I would get your existing one reconditioned. You could use a company like Western Power Steering for this. They do a pretty fast service. I used them to recondition the rack on my Golf G60 Syncro for me.

i`ve found a 1/4 sharp chisel on the steering washers under the security bolts will normaly crack them loose, and the rack will come out the top with the exhaust down pipe off ,,,,