Sign in to follow this  
123drb

15" 4-stud space saver/ steel spare for '91 16v?

Bent my front NS alloy in a pothole yesterday so need to get a new wheel. Luckily the spare was an original alloy so I'm thinking I'll just get a space saver or a cheap steel wheel to put in the boot. Assuming this is not a stupid idea what should I be looking for? Would a space saver be useable or do I need to look for a steel wheel? Are wheels from any other models compatible eg Golfs? Thanks for any advice! (& yes, I will be claiming from the council - 8ft-wide road, giant potholes on both sides, would have had to drive through the hedge & into the field to avoid them both...)

Late mk2 Golfs, non-gti/vr6 mk3s, and mk2 Sciroccos all had 4-stud space savers. I have them in both my Corrados with late mk2 or mk3 flat boot carpets :)

You could use a Corrado 15" steel wheel, but they are rare and expensive these days. Probably cheaper to find a used alloy, depending on what your '91 came with.

@ mikkijayne - thanks for the info - v useful. I'd wondered what to do about the lumpy boot carpet with a space-saver but your tip sounds great - extra boot space as well - do those Golf boot carpets fit without modification?

@ daves16v - cheers! I'm very tempted but I'm in West Oxfordshire & never go anywhere near Nottingham so I think I need to see if I can find something a bit more local first! May well come back to you via PM if I can't find anything. I'd need to check out courier collection costs to see if it'd be worthwhile. How much would you want for the wheel?

do those Golf boot carpets fit without modification?

Well the Corrado carpet just covers the boot, and stops at the back seat IIRC, whereas the Golf ones go under the seat as well (since the seat lifts up). All I did with mine was trim it where the seatbelts go, and tucked it under the seat. You could just cut it off at the back seat if you want though. The main part of it is the same shape.

if i'm closer i have a space saver available too.

i'm in Rugby Warwickshire.

@ mikkijayne - thanks for the info - v useful. I'd wondered what to do about the lumpy boot carpet with a space-saver but your tip sounds great - extra boot space as well - do those Golf boot carpets fit without modification?

@ daves16v - cheers! I'm very tempted but I'm in West Oxfordshire & never go anywhere near Nottingham so I think I need to see if I can find something a bit more local first! May well come back to you via PM if I can't find anything. I'd need to check out courier collection costs to see if it'd be worthwhile. How much would you want for the wheel?

£10 sound fair?

Let me know if you can't find one local.

Dave