biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

nice one ben cant wait to see pics! what do you have to drive while she's off the road!

I'm very lucky, I have the use of a Mk4 Tdi for day to day driving. But once the C hits the road that will be my only form of transport.

Ok here we go.. some pics from this weekend!

I got the engine bay prepping finished, painted it and laquered it (6-7 coats) done on sat. Will need to let it harden off for a week or so before I flat it back and polish it. See sneek pic for results.. very happy with the look. 2 pac laquer is awesome stuff, makes the paint look and feel so deep! Also got all the ali bits on the engine painted at the same time.

So today, I got both my rallye and VR6 gearbox's stripped. See pics. The VR6 gears stacks are a straight swap, I will need to swap over the VR6 crown wheel to the rallye diff as they are slightly different. Other than that I should be able to have VR6 gears in my rallye box, which I'm happy about. Will need to buy the crown wheel/diff bolt kit from VW and drill out the old rivets. A few new bearings and a shim or two and it will be done! Syncro's and gears look fine...

So its getting there... A very productive weekend!

nice progress ben bay is looking nice! are you going to hide the wiring?

Cheers chap.. I'm not sure whether I will be hiding the wiring. I know the headlight loom will be hidden but not sure about the engine harness yet... My main aim was to tidy the bay but keep it pratical at the same time.

I'm ordering a bolt kt for the crown wheel (final drive) so I can swap over the VR6 item to the rallye diff, then I will be putting the gearbox back together, so will let you know how I get on Bill..

How's yours coming, done any more on it since NR last month?

just gone back for some more paint bits hopefully will be at santa pod this weekend only got carpet and seats to put in, sling the bbs on jobs good!,,,oh and 2 tonnes of wax to put on as well!

looking nice, did you go with body colour or Iris blue in the end?

I used the body colour in the end, which is Porsche Iris Blue. Seemed the best choice!

just gone back for some more paint bits hopefully will be at santa pod this weekend only got carpet and seats to put in, sling the bbs on jobs good!,,,oh and 2 tonnes of wax to put on as well!

I will see you there then (as long as its nice weather).. no C, but might take the tractor (tdi) down the strip and see what its capable off.. 19 sec 1/4 ??? lol

Ben,

:offtopic1: Quick high-jack....

I'll drop you a line on Sunday, on the off chance you're at the Pod - doesn't look too likely if the forecasts are to be believed. The Golf is road legal now, so should be there. Doubt it'll go down the strip though - tempting fate!

I'm half tempted to take the sh1t-box there to razz to hell down the strip, but a) it'd be embarassingly slow (16 seconds(!) @ 90mph GAY!), and b) I doubt you VW chaps would like to see a Dagenham dustbin :p at a VW event!

Cheers,

John.

p.s. I hope the 'box swapping goes well. I can't imagine it's an easy job to get correct.

Ben,

:offtopic1: Quick high-jack....

I'll drop you a line on Sunday, on the off chance you're at the Pod - doesn't look too likely if the forecasts are to be believed. The Golf is road legal now, so should be there. Doubt it'll go down the strip though - tempting fate!

I'm half tempted to take the s**t-box there to razz to hell down the strip, but a) it'd be embarassingly slow (16 seconds(!) @ 90mph GAY!), and b) I doubt you VW chaps would like to see a Dagenham dustbin :p at a VW event!

Cheers,

John.

p.s. I hope the 'box swapping goes well. I can't imagine it's an easy job to get correct.

ok cool.. I will be there on sunday (good weather), call me..

Thought it was time for a small update, basically the engine is back in, I'm just wanting on a couple of parts and it should be good to fire up next weekend, if all goes well.

I've repaired the rallye gearbox and put that back together. The clutch now has new torqued bolts along with the flywheel. The new much larger downpipe just fits, we are talking mm's clearence and I've done a bit of painting so all the ali parts on the engine look nice and new.. I will have some proper pics for you guys at the weekend but here is the engine bay as off about 4 weeks ago just after I finished painting. Still need to G3 quite alot of the bay but tbh I just want to drive it!!

Its booked in to go back to jabba for some fine tuning just before Worthersee. The day before in fact. Anyway it might be gracing the roads of england shortly! ???

Ben

you sure the engine is back in? I just cant see it :lol: mind you the whole car appears to be entering some sort of warp drive thing

Ah - I was wondering when this thread would spring back to life!

Ben - what stopped you starting the car? I heard rumour that a caveman clobbered a fairly critical component..... :wink:

Could you drop me a PM with your active email address? I'm looking into trimming my dash (not on the dagenham dustbin!) in leather, and for comparison I'd like to know what you paid for aspects of your interior.

Cheers,

John.

p.s. I'm really looking forward to seeing this car roadworthy!

you sure the engine is back in? I just cant see it :lol: mind you the whole car appears to be entering some sort of warp drive thing

I've used a newly developed see-through paint, do you like it?

Ah - I was wondering when this thread would spring back to life!

Ben - what stopped you starting the car? I heard rumour that a caveman clobbered a fairly critical component..... :wink:

Could you drop me a PM with your active email address? I'm looking into trimming my dash (not on the dagenham dustbin!) in leather, and for comparison I'd like to know what you paid for aspects of your interior.

Cheers,

John.

p.s. I'm really looking forward to seeing this car roadworthy!

umm i hit the starter motor a little hard and cracked the solenoid :D

Should be purring this weekend.. I've PM'd you my email address....

ok guys I had a few hours today to get some work done on the C. I managed to get everything back together engine wise and turned the key at about 9 this evening.. I'm only getting 10.1 volts to the coils, which isn't enough for a spark. I might move the batt to the engine bay as I've had enough of this problem! Basically I have voltage loss somewhere.. either the earth isn't good enough or the 300 amp cable for the positive isn't playing ball! Really want to get it started and back together tomorrow!

ANY IDEAS about the voltage loss ?????

Found this pic when it was at jabba for mapping at the beginning the year.. bit dirty mind.. and nice and high for the rollers..

Pics of the engine bay etc coming tomorrow/monday..

Ben

Evening mate.

Where and how are you earthing it?

Jay

Evening chap... you not on msn?

I'm earthing it to the cross member going from one rear chassis leg to the other (put it through the spare wheel well and bolted it like that) HOWEVER !! I think there is some paint between the bolt and the cross member, so I might get the grinder out tomorrow as I bet its not getting a good contact... does that make sense?

Not on MSN mate, down at my folks this weekend.

You need to make sure the earth is perfect and well connected to the main body. The earth for the block comes directly off the bodyshell so make sure that all of the contact points are clean metal.

What voltage is the battery reading?

Jay

Its alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it back together today, just taken it for a spin...... SWEET JESUS ITS QUICK !!

In the wet I got traction in 4th !!!!!!! OMG its FAST !!! sorry did I mention it fast??? lol

Vids tomorrow, if my mate gets up early enough :D

I'm buzzing and have a big fat smile on my face ........ :D :D :D