Sign in to follow this  
C488ADO

should it stay or should it go?? vr6 /1.8t.......

got a few issues with the trusty old vr6 at the moment....now do i look at other options of engine...1.8t or r32? or should i fix up what i have???

seems i have a few faults all at once...i have a coolant leak which is almost impossible to detect but as of yesterday im pretty sure its the matrix :(

im also smoking on overrun....down hill coasting but it seem to be getting worse?? maybe as i have changed the oil pump recently and given it a service???? better pressure etc etc ??

so ive had a compression test done and the results were a bit weird...i guess the only real way to be sure is to strip down what i have and check it out but in the back of my mind im thinking is it worth it? after all its just old shit really....

i can not afford to re-bore as the pistons are so expensive that would right it off for me ...

piston 2

IMG_0282.jpg

piston 4

IMG_0283.jpg

piston 6

IMG_0284.jpg

piston 1 (first attempt)

IMG_0285.jpg

piston 3

IMG_0286.jpg

piston 5

IMG_0287.jpg

piston 1 (second attempt)

IMG_0288.jpg

piston 1 (third attempt)

IMG_0289.jpg

i took all the plugs out to do this test i tried piston 1 3 times i thought maybe the fuel pumping into the chamber was probably helping the test by the 3rd attempt....

so head off while its off chains and tensioners etc its starting to look like big bucks with out looking at rings etc what do you do?? its on 113k at the moment just wondering if this lot is going to cost me say ???? £800 give or take £200 then shoiuld i be looking at alternative routes???

thing is it might not be so sinister until i get the head off i dont know whats going on.....but then there is the bill of the tensioners!!! arrrgggghhhhh i need this to get me round europe next month im thinking do the trip get it back then strip it down all of it and re build??? as i then will have a second car (i dont at present) i can then spend time and money on doing the right thing...

shit i just need some advice and direction!

cheers

forget the faults you have found for the moment. . . .

is it running ok ? does it drive fine and no issues when using it daily other than the water loss ?

if yes then i would be tempted to run it and strip once your back. if the water loss is the matrix this could be tested now by bypassing it and see if you still have the loss ( would also give you the confidence back in the engine )

oil on the over run could mean that rings are on the way out and the piston 1 reading could be suggesting this problem.

in the end if you want to swap engines what is the likely chance of you getting one that dont want all the work doing to it that you need to do on yours ???

get good european cover a gallon of oil, a bottle of coolant and use it. at least that way if yours breaksdown you will get a hire car to continue your trip. . . .

Alright dude

Whatever you decide its going to cost big bucks, everything I'm doing to my engine at the moment is going to cost in the region of £1k :pukeright: But I know its going to be awesome afterwards and last me for years to come, as I want to keep the car for a long time I don't mind the outlay. You need to decide if you're keeping it for the longhaul or just a coupe/few years. That will help sway your answer.

An R32 is a great thought but compared to what you're thinking is wrong with the engine, is a very expensive fix :cuckoo: You have to be talking in the region of £3-4k to everything needed sorted and fitted. Where as your engine at the moment is showing signs of some general wear and tear and just needs some maintenance time and money spent on it.

Hope it helps and I'm sure I'll see you soon and have a look with you at the state of play.

P.S. You can't go getting an R32 anyway, its not allowed and I'd be gutted :norty: :nuts: :pale:

it drives perfect, it doesnt smoke on the road apparently it gives a puff when pushing it between gear changes but not all the time ....and very small amount as i cannot see it in the mirrors,,and i have been looking! the coolant loss isnt massivly bad but it is annoying i hate stuff like this, its not using loads of oil or anything like it , i just want it to be right as i hate seeing old cars smoking about as they look shagged... not looked after etc

the engine sounds ok but would need tensioners as never had them done

i can understand matt but when you think of how much big end bearings are , piston rings rebore? or even if you can get away with honeing then there is the head ...skim to be safe decoke new steam seals exhaust guides etc head bolts gaskets then the oil change etc stuff again chains tensioners and the stuff i wanted to do while it was off its going to be quite pricey....

1.8 t lumps are two a penny right now and r32 stuff has come right down in buck too..... im guessing you can get an r32 lump for about £800-£1200 ??

new engine less problems? not goingto have 113k on it id hope but all the sasme all the old probs ironed out... more refined etc....

this is why i need some advice etc as in my mind no point in rebuilding the head if the bore has worn....the problem being it needs to be stripped right down to see whats what im guessing?? once you start theres no turning back?? haha i like the idea of keeping what i have and making it good but if i have to rebore and then get pistons the pistons are mental money! £700??? or something daft thats with out conrods etc

the car is a keeper in the long run i wanted to S/C the vr6 as i like the idea of it and i cant do that if i have a dodgey bottom end.....

sounds like you have answered most of your own questions. . . .

run it

use it

save up

strip it

rebuild it

bolt on the charger

run it again

save up again cause you have blown it abusing it with the charger :lol:

run it

use it

save up

strip it

rebuild it

bolt on the charger

run it again

Technologic :clap:

Please stop - you have just prompted me to look at R32 engines. There are a couple of places that will supply AND fit for £2450.

run it

use it

save up

strip it

rebuild it

bolt on the charger

run it again

Technologic :clap:

Now that was comic genious... if i hadn't have finished my coffee i would have spat it out :lol:

Please stop - you have just prompted me to look at R32 engines. There are a couple of places that will supply AND fit for £2450.

Bloody hell if thats the case, there's going to be a lot of R32 Corrado's driving around.

yep, this will be a straight swap into a golf, doubt they will do it into a corrado for those prices. i know the 3rd option wont do it into a corrado.

Get yourself a 2.8 block, you can pick them up dirt cheap, condition is not really important as you just get the bores machined to match your 2.9 pistons and re-use them! Like having a new block with no ware on the bores. easy peasy lemon sqeezy. :D

im onto my 3rd vr6 engine and it was not down to abuse i bought one bottom end started knocking straight away

2nd one a garage shattered my piston so i aint had much luck

onto my 3rd it cost me 900 including getting my cams reground to 263

fully lightening the flywheel and fitting new chains and tensioners

it was stripped down and checked over so proberly had gaskets done

plus you cant beat the vr sound even though r32's sound awesome

I miss the roar the vr had

you can have cams reground??

really how much does that cost? and can any engine tuner shop do it?

yeah had mine done people say 263 profile have the best gains

cant remember how much it cost took them 2 weeks to do

I think they sent them somewhere mb motorsport in near newcastle did mine

Hmmm got lots to learn here

need to look up what all thus means and how to choose what to go for.....

i did research on a vr owners club and they all go for 263 cams, 268 can give the car a lumpy tick over

i never never experienced any of them i just went with the highest power gain and what everyone else

recommended I am supercharging my vr when i get the time

Bloody hell if thats the case, there's going to be a lot of R32 Corrado's driving around.

Not really something you want to do on the cheap though. There will be a reason why its cheap.

Not really something you want to do on the cheap though. There will be a reason why its cheap.

I've seen since, that's a price for a straight swap in a Golf. Not quite the same as fitting to a Corrado! From the guys build threads there's alot of work involved and congrats to anyone who has taken this on.