Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

As well as an MX5 I wouldnt mind one of these.....

1991_black_spg.jpg[/attachment:tilhp2a5]

Anybody know of a nice one for sale or an MX5! Let me know :grin:

Many Thanks

Mat

Dont think I would ever buy one myself but I can see the attraction :norty:

over the years its gone from a cool architects car, to a gangster drug dealer ride (in soft top form only), and now back to being cool in a retro way.......mind you the picture you have there isnt the most flattering - looks like a bread van :lol:

......also if you get one it has to have three spokes :D

Oh yes! And I will be wearing my aviators :grin:

8)

Yeah or i will look like a twat :lol:

Either way Im sure i would be happy driving it. My mate used to have one and it was suprisingly fast yet comfortable. Plus it has a massive boot so I can get a couple of bikes in the bike :grin:

I'm driving an MX5 (Mk1, import) at the moment - which actually used to be my car 10 years ago!

Still going well, and will be up for sale in just under a month when my new car arrives.....

I'm driving an MX5 (Mk1, import) at the moment - which actually used to be my car 10 years ago!

Still going well, and will be up for sale in just under a month when my new car arrives.....

What colour is it Andi :grin: What new car you getting, have I missed something exciting???

Silver.

1.6, 120k miles on the clock.

Modified a bit: Recaro seats, blue roll cage, rear spoiler, side skirts, lowered suspension, custom nose cone, twin headlights, induction kit. It's a Mohair roof and in good nick, and great runner. Oh, and a big noisey exhaust. Hehe.

I was 19.. ;)

http://twitpic.com/15v38f

I also swapped the side lights and indicators around....

It was the first car I bought myself, and modded ;)

Was from this I bought my C, and started the forum... aah.

And the new car? Now that would be telling. I'm coming back to the VAG fold, though... (And if you research me enough via clues on the above link, you could find out.. lol)

And the new car? Now that would be telling. I'm coming back to the VAG fold, though... (And if you research me enough via clues on the above link, you could find out.. lol)

If it is what i think i should be looking at I hope thats a company car? LOL Or you need to change ur forum name to captain sensible :wink:

Ah no, that was a loaner from the company supplying the next car.. ;)

Ah no, that was a loaner from the company supplying the next car.. ;)

Hmmmm interesting Mr Bond.... :norty: :scratch:

there is a minter pottering around scarborough atm and the bloke who has it loves my Corrado haha. 2.3 Turbo are they?

saying that MK1 MX5 is the most fun of driving i had had in a looong time! until i got the C that is

there is a minter pottering around scarborough atm and the bloke who has it loves my Corrado haha. 2.3 Turbo are they?

saying that MK1 MX5 is the most fun of driving i had had in a looong time! until i got the C that is

2L Turbo. Make an easy 240 bhp for couple hundred squid :)

Ive had a few of these, incuding what was probably the quickest in the UK a few years ago.

TD04 turbo, 2.3 head, US 2.1 intake, 8 injectors with ERL inj driver, Aquamist, FMIC, 3" downpipe etc etc...

They are great cars but the gearbox blights an otherwise bulletproof package powerwise.

220bhp is a couple of hundred quid, you wont get 240 for that sort of money, over 220 things get expensive.

As i said to keep it reliable 220 or so is the practical limit, the boxes were designed for about 60bhp on the Triumph Toledo so when you start cramming over 200lb/ft throught it they dont last long, Motor magazine even broke a box on road test car back in 1985 when doing the acceleration figures.

I went through gearboxes at the rate of about 1 every six months and that was driving with a fair degree of mechanical sympathy, the torque just shreds the gear clusters as the box flexes, or at least it did with over 300ft/lb that i had...

Still miss it though......

Ive had a few of these, incuding what was probably the quickest in the UK a few years ago.

TD04 turbo, 2.3 head, US 2.1 intake, 8 injectors with ERL inj driver, Aquamist, FMIC, 3" downpipe etc etc...

They are great cars but the gearbox blights an otherwise bulletproof package powerwise.

220bhp is a couple of hundred quid, you wont get 240 for that sort of money, over 220 things get expensive.

As i said to keep it reliable 220 or so is the practical limit, the boxes were designed for about 60bhp on the Triumph Toledo so when you start cramming over 200lb/ft throught it they dont last long, Motor magazine even broke a box on road test car back in 1985 when doing the acceleration figures.

I went through gearboxes at the rate of about 1 every six months and that was driving with a fair degree of mechanical sympathy, the torque just shreds the gear clusters as the box flexes, or at least it did with over 300ft/lb that i had...

Still miss it though......

Hey useful info thanks!

Do you think I could get away with running one as a daily now, they are getting on a bit........

Thanks

Matt :)

As a daily, Hmmmm..

They are reliable providing you dont ramp it up too much and do lots of preventative maintenance, bit like the Corrado.

Thing is good ones now are changing hands for 3k and i dont know your budget but expect them to be fairly tired if your looking at getting one sub 1000 quid.

Mine had done 190000 miles when i sold it (for 3500) about 5 or so years ago but effectively it was about the tightest and newest to drive that you were likely to find as i had replaced everything that was wear an tear.

I also had a 1 previous owner full saab historied car with just 35000 miles on the clock to compare it with.

Great cars, just make sure you get a good one, and check for rot down where the front lower wishbones meet the chassis box section, they rot here and its an MOT fail...

As a daily, Hmmmm..

They are reliable providing you dont ramp it up too much and do lots of preventative maintenance, bit like the Corrado.

Thing is good ones now are changing hands for 3k and i dont know your budget but expect them to be fairly tired if your looking at getting one sub 1000 quid.

Mine had done 190000 miles when i sold it (for 3500) about 5 or so years ago but effectively it was about the tightest and newest to drive that you were likely to find as i had replaced everything that was wear an tear.

I also had a 1 previous owner full saab historied car with just 35000 miles on the clock to compare it with.

Great cars, just make sure you get a good one, and check for rot down where the front lower wishbones meet the chassis box section, they rot here and its an MOT fail...

Would spend up to 2500 for right car. Bot too bothered about a power upgrade but would be good to have 220 bhp.

Just holding out for right car I guess and not getting impatient..... Saw a mint red one in Scotland last week with 85k on clock but just missed it :(

Personally chap for a daily id go for a Manual 9000 Aero all day long,

For 2.5k youd be looking at 350bhp and the ability to tune it yourself through T5suite software which you can download and tweak your own map, the trionic engine management is one of the most advanced in its day and still is now.

I bought a car for my mate to take out to the Ring 4 up last summer, cost me 450 quid, i sold it to him for a grand and for 1300 quid we had a mint car that was poly bushed all round, lowered, new ebc yellows all round and track ready with 280bhp T5 suite map for 1300 quid.

He sold it when he got back for 1700 quid, effectively it was a 165mph waft mobile that would do 35mpg 4 up at 95mph cruise in luxury.

Silly value for money and silly quick...

Have a look at this:-

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55378

I know the guy selling (Paul Kang), he is a perfectionist..

I dont mind the 9000 but tbh the only Saab that really floats my boat is the 900 T16s :grin:

I only do 10 miles each way to work each day (perhaps cycle once or twice a week also) So just fancy an interesting daily to keep miles off the Corrado and something that I can take on the odd long journey. I guess a 900 may be a bit of a pipe dream for a daily... Always remember my mates car being really reliable (bar one he had that set on fire lol) that was about 8 years back now though

I know what you mean about the C900, i just don't know if its a practical daily proposition nowadays..

And any chance for a photo of my old one..

KOO (reg no.) was very well known back in the day...

900T16S.jpg

040518_11_edited.jpg

Two words....

Turbo....

LAG!

One word:

"WICKED!" :grin:

(and its bad by modern stds but not ridiculously so)

I know what you mean about the C900, i just don't know if its a practical daily proposition nowadays..

And any chance for a photo of my old one..

KOO (reg no.) was very well known back in the day...

900T16S.jpg

040518_11_edited.jpg

Why oh why oh why did you have to do that! LOL :(

That is awesome. Basically exactly what I want! Black minty fresh and 9000 aero alloys 8)