Sign in to follow this  
GRINGOG60

Gwerks Heads?

Hello chaps,

Any body had any experience of them? looking to get my head reconditioned ( the standard refresh package £250 ) Can you recommend this or is it a bit pricey? Have changed head gaskets plenty of times but never rebuilt a head with guides, seals reground the valves etc.

Thanks

James

dont think you can really fit the guides yourself

maybe ask around localy for a price at a machine shop , it shouldnt be loads for guides and a skim , you can lap the valves and assemble it yourself

Thanks for the replies guys.

I dont know much about Gwerks as the last G60 i had was 6 years ago and i always used Jabba Sport for that one.

Is it worth doing the valve springs as well or not bother?

it doesnt sound insanely expensive and your not gonna get a better job done elsewhere..

bet its done elsewhere with added gwerks tax

I have no experience of Gwerks, so cannot comment on them good or bad.

I can say it would be worth you joining club gti and checking out the group buy for 'man in the shed heads' in the members only section.

After loads of research I have just got a man in the shed head (AKA All Stage Cylinder heads). It is ported, polished, skimmed, new guides, and stem seals etc. I spent 3 hours at the shed discussing his work, and find it hard to beleive anyone could better the service he provides. Cylinder heads are all he does, and he knows VW heads inside out :notworthy:

Im a member of the ClubGTI forum and just checked it out but its more expensive at 250 + VAT, all be it that it includes a port and a port and a polish. I only want a standard head rebuild nothing fancy as i cant afford the further expense of farting around having it remapped again (which was done by GWERKS originally)

So Gwerks then?

phil are they local to essex...ive heard good things about em on cgtl

He's in Northamptonshire. Shouldn't be too bad to get to from Cambridge.

not worth an ask how much without the port work? gota be a good chunk off

Exactly what I was just thinking. He does alot of the heads for the Mk2 GTI racing series, which have to be standard spec.

I highly recommend at least giving him a call to discuss your requirements.

Im a member of the ClubGTI forum and just checked it out but its more expensive at 250 + VAT, all be it that it includes a port and a port and a polish. I only want a standard head rebuild nothing fancy as i cant afford the further expense of farting around having it remapped again (which was done by GWERKS originally)

So Gwerks then?

Don't dismiss the the port and polish route, reason being is that most G60 maps have a variable umbrella that allows for variances in day to day running not to mention they can cope with no boost all they way through to high boost of a modded charger. Check with G-werks about your map. Was it bespoke or did they just fit a chip? I have a feeling that the chips originate from SNS.

Anyway, even if you can't use a ported head on your map (which I would be very surprised at) you can now order SNS chips on ebay and deal direct with Bilal, they cost £75 which is a bloody bargain and hence why I have just ordered one.

The chip was done by a previous , in fact im yet to take delivery of the car, but i know i needs a head gasket so whilst im doing that i think its better to have it recond. WOuld Gwerks keep a record of the particular map it had do you think?

dont know. Might be as well opening the ecu and see what the chip says on it. It may well say sns and in that case you should be ok. You might as well get a ported head, does improve the restricted 8v head and whilst you have the chance i would jump to it.

Will it effect the emissions hugely? not that im a tree hugger at all but the car is coming back to Spain and they are right arse about that sort of stuff.

no not at all, can by fine tuned with the co pot anyway. Should be around 500 ohms but nothing to stop you fine tuning if req'd. The map will compensate anyway.

ok excellent, i will get myself a port and polish then why not! Just need to find a spare head now in good condition. There is one eBay but the cam looks rusty so think it may have been stored out side so not much cop, How much for a descent second hand head then? £40-£50 or is that too little?

Thanks for all the info by the way everyone its really appreciated :salute:

Will it effect the emissions hugely? not that im a tree hugger at all but the car is coming back to Spain and they are right arse about that sort of stuff.

shouldnt expect it to make the emmisions worse

i dont agree that any old sns chip will be right though , if the fueling is wrong things can melt fast

id at least want it checked on a rolling road , dont just assume its okay because someone on a forum thinks it might be

G60 maps have a variable umbrella that allows for variances in day to day running not to mention they can cope with no boost all they way through to high boost of a modded charger.

not all from the same chip im affraid , they will fit you a differant map for standard , smaller pulley and so on

the chip wont cater for all the way from no boost to highly modded , you need the correct one to suit your mods

G60 maps have a variable umbrella that allows for variances in day to day running not to mention they can cope with no boost all they way through to high boost of a modded charger.

not all from the same chip im affraid , they will fit you a differant map for standard , smaller pulley and so on

the chip wont cater for all the way from no boost to highly modded , you need the correct one to suit your mods

I am having one supplied that will take into account I want to upgrade to a big valve head at a later date, this is catered for by the map umbrella. This is what the standard factory map does and allows for cars to run on atmosphere all the way up to smaller pulleys (I know, my G60 currently has a 68mm pulley on standard map, and it copes although I know it is not ideal and hence I am not thraping the car about). I believe that SNS retain this matrix and extend the top end to cope with much higher boost. The main issue on Corrados is the green injectors running at max duty at 1 bar. Which is why I am swapping to red tops.

I understand that the maps are tweaked to get the best out of your spec, but there are certainly situations where these maps cope with these upgrades, that is for the owner of the map to find out from the company that mapped it. What you can't do of course is to swap in red tops and expect it to run right, as it won't.

This is as I understand it, if someone wants to put me right please go ahead, I am always interested in learning more. 8)

no what i said still stands

the standard chip is in no way safe to use with smaller pulleys and i dont know anyone that would advise that

correct fueling is very important on a charged car

yes theres a small amount of room to perhaps accomodate a exhaust and airfilter swap , but its not a "one chip suits all" situation

so while the car will still start with a small pulley and big valve head /cam its not right and not reccomended , id say its more luck you havent done damage , maybe the charger is a bit low on boost ?

The full spec is as follows-

Gwerks charger and chip

68mm pulley

RSR outlet

Red top injectors

Scorpion exhaust + decat

The problem is that its started to miss fire, down on power and white smoke out the exhaust and one of the plugs is gettig very wet so im changing the head gasket and want a head rebuild at the same time as its on 130k and dont think it has been done.

This car has to do over 2k miles back from my parents house in North London to Barcelona so i want it to be perfect before i set off. I dont want to get half way through france and for it to go bang so i want to do everything i can to it. While im doing the head if a port and polish is a good idea then i'll do it but this isnt the be all and end all. I also think i will have the injectors professionaly cleaned as they apparently werent new when they went in.

If any bodyhas any other recommendation as to stuf that she be done whilst it all apart im all ears!