Sign in to follow this  
Captainrado

OBD Port Location??? On a KR.

Hi guys,

I''ve got a '90 1.8 16v KR. It's running rich and rough. :(

I've taken it to the mechanic but we can't find the OBD port for diagnostics. Does it have OBD diagnostics or am i just blind.

Can anyone tell me where it is?

:help:

Captain

I've taken it to the mechanic but we can't find the OBD port for diagnostics. Does it have OBD diagnostics or am i just blind.

Captain

As far as I know they dont have a diagnostic port mate, only the later 2.0 16v have them along with the VR6....Im sure somebody will be along shortly to confirm.

It has obd port under plastics surrounding gearbox leaver, where KARMAN sign is, remove it and You will find obd port

it don't do nuffin though,

KR has no diagnostics, it only has an ignition ECU, ABS versions might have a port for the ABS controller, not sure.

Ok so if it has no diagnostics, how do i check why its running like a fat boy!! Is it just a case of check the timing, plugs, sensors one by one?

Or is the ignition ECU likely to show me some errors?

Good old fashioned detective work :) The K-JET system has a very clearly defined fault finding process for identifying poor running conditions. I don't know what it IS but any decent garage with mechanics who are older than 19 years old should have an understanding of this "old fashioned" kind of fault finding!!!

...The K-JET system has a very clearly defined fault finding process ... I don't know what it IS...

:lol:

if you have checked the condition of the plugs, leads, distributor cap etc. and have checked all of the vacuum lines and rubber intake boots for splits and leaks then there a number of other things to check depending on the symptoms.

Does it idle OK?, does it rev freely? cold/warm?

Any more info on exactly what it's behaviour is like would help, before deciding to change fuel filters, check fuel delivery and pressures etc. which is all a lot more involved.

I've got most of the testing info gathered over the years so might be able to point you in the right direction.

There is a huge list of sensor check procedures in the workshop manual and there are 4 videos produced by VW to aid in K-Jet understanding, fault finding etc.

Only snag with that is you need a VW workshop manual for the electrical operation of the KR engine and a VAG 1598 electrical break out box along with the correct matched lead...

So in an effort to do some remote diagnosis, can you answer the following questions..

Does it just run rough and rich during the warm up phase (cold engine) or is it only when hot?

Does it start promptly after turning the ignition key?

Has this problem just started or has the problem been getting worse over time?

Have you done any work to the engine area recently?

Is the engine hunting when idling?

Does it feel down on power when driving?

If you can answer those questions then folks on here can give you some pointers for the right places to start checking.

Oh and there are some plugs under the gearstick gaiter even on non-ABS cars but they were only used for factory set-up.

Ok guys,

This is the situation so far.

It starts on the first turn of the key but takes a while to fire. It kind of chugs into life, sounds rough for a few seconds, spikes its revs and then settles to a rough idle. Usually with a puff of blue smoke.

It will idle, but has been dropping its revs a little when pulling away and requires a delicate little extra boot of throttle!

It runs rich all the time.

It might be down on power but its been like this since i got it so i don't know. :confused4:

As far as i know its not been fiddled with, but it does have a stainless steel system on it.

hope this helps.

Warm Up Regulator

unit on RHS of head (under Idle valve) with a 2 wire plug and 2 fuel lines to it

it alters the control pressure to the metering head on warm up to richen mixture

see: here

It's not going to be the WUR (warm up regulator) as this would only effect cold starting and running phases.

First thing to do would be to get the mixture set-up correctly, as it's the same engine as a Mk 2 Golf 16v you can get a Haynes manual to tell you how to adjust the CO and the idle to the correct settings.

The K-Jet ignition system does degrade over time and requires tuning to get the best from it, hopefully a quick mixture and idle adjustment should sort it out.

As for the blue smoke, that is more than likely your valve stem oil seals are on the way out, once it's sorted have a look and see if it dumps blue smoke on hard acceleration and the over-run.

It's not going to be the WUR (warm up regulator) as this would only effect cold starting and running phases.

First thing to do would be to get the mixture set-up correctly, as it's the same engine as a Mk 2 Golf 16v you can get a Haynes manual to tell you how to adjust the CO and the idle to the correct settings.

Try this out http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195423 should help with correcting the mixture, i need to do it and its set as my homepage as a reminder! :lol: