Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

fuel system cleaners? do they work?

any body have any thoughts on products that clean out "the entire fuel system" like Nitrox etc.

Some claim to restore lost power and cut emissions.

is there any truth in this?

has anybody used them before?

any good?

suggestions please

cheers

paul

I use them all the time I have 3 good ones I use the first being Nitrox hot shots I use this one quite alot especially when doing days up the stripat santa pod :D I have got a mate who tested it on his nissan 300zx on the rollers one with it in and one without and the results were pretty good he used super plus and a bottle of hot shots and it showed an inprovement of 9bhp which aint bad for £6 in opinion the other 2 I use is comma injector magic which I think is a good product and use it all the time (at least twice a month) and the other is wynns octane booster which apperantly take the rating of of fuel by 10 points I cant comment if it actually improves performance as I dont have proof but when I use it I notice an inprovement in acceleration but that could just be in me head!!! Try the hot shots and see I think it is good s*it!!!

I just put it in before I fill up and stick a fulll tank of optimax or super plus in!!! I think there is a printing error on the back of the hot shots as it says it treats 15 litres :? all the others treat upto 60litres

I just put it in before I fill up and stick a fulll tank of optimax or super plus in!!! I think there is a printing error on the back of the hot shots as it says it treats 15 litres :? all the others treat upto 60litres

Optimax or Super Plus unleaded can push BHP figures up a little bit anyway.... on some cars that can advance the timing via ECU... ie. VR6... Ive always used Wynns or STP and have had good results with them but seeing as I only run on optimax these days I cant see any fuel cleaners being better than the petrol optimax?

Might give this hot shots a go though... where do you get it from ?

I saw a product called 'Boost' in a car accessory shop last week. It is made by the same company that makes those 'ecotek' in-line fuel filters. I didn't look to long at it as I thought it was just a gimmick, I think you spray the foam in through the air intake and the engine sucks it in.

Apparently it removes all the carbon deposits within the engine making it more efficient. Could this br true??

[qoute]Might give this hot shots a go though... where do you get it from ?[/qoute]

I get it from work but places like halfords, shell, les smiths to name a few also sell it

I saw a product called 'Boost' in a car accessory shop last week. It is made by the same company that makes those 'ecotek' in-line fuel filters. I didn't look to long at it as I thought it was just a gimmick, I think you spray the foam in through the air intake and the engine sucks it in.

Apparently it removes all the carbon deposits within the engine making it more efficient. Could this br true??

I know the one its called 10k Boost and it does work as I ve tried it the amount of black carbon it got rid of was amazing big plumes of the stuff it felt a bit more responsive after I had done the treatment as well!!!!

http://www.10kboost.com/applic.htm

Just had a look at 10kboost application.

Step2. Disconnect air intake as close to inlet manifold or Turbo-charger as possible.

How close can you get to the inlet manifold on a 1.8 16V ?? Will this be after the airfilter/airbox ???

can u really spray 10k boost into the charger.

I remember seeing it in a mag bout 2yrs ago where they fitteed a piper x filter ans 10k boosted a rallye. they said they put it into the charger?

Would this not degenerate the oils n grease thats in there?

sure that cr*p must be holding seals tight n that too.

Step2. Disconnect air intake as close to inlet manifold or Turbo-charger as possible.

How close can you get to the inlet manifold on a 1.8 16V ?? Will this be after the airfilter/airbox ???

You will have a lot of problems trying to get this stuff into 16V engine as if you disconnect any point of air path the engine will cut out....... *:)

It needs to be applied with engine running and it isnt possible for engine to run if you upset air path.... even if turn the idle up! *:)

Scott

I used it when I got my car, I disconnected the vacuum line at the back of the intake manifold and sprayed it in from there.

I didnt notice much difference but there was definately a lot of crap coming out of the exaust during the process.

I also had someone else sitting in the car revving it up a bit to stop the engine cutting out.

Is there anything else recommended for engine cleaning on the 16V?

Might just try Nitrox!

I thought I might need some treatment on my jets, they've been giving me jip!

on a 16v with jetronic fuelling you can still put the 10k boost in just before the inlet if you undo the jubilee clip and only pull it off just enough so you have a gap open at the top just enough to spray the cans in you need to increase the idle to 2500rpm if I rememver correctly and spray 2 full cans in for the first treatment!!! The other method of getting carbon off ya pistons is to get a spray bottle filled with water (YES WATER) and while revving it spray it into the inlet but not too much at a time as this will make the engine splutter and die no one can explain how this actualy works but if you have ever had a headgasket let go and water has got into the combustion chamber the pistons are usually in mint condition for some reason!!!!!

on a 16v with jetronic fuelling you can still put the 10k boost in just before the inlet if you undo the jubilee clip and only pull it off just enough so you have a gap open at the top just enough to spray the cans in you need to increase the idle to 2500rpm if I rememver correctly and spray 2 full cans in for the first treatment!!! The other method of getting carbon off ya pistons is to get a spray bottle filled with water (YES WATER) and while revving it spray it into the inlet but not too much at a time as this will make the engine splutter and die no one can explain how this actualy works but if you have ever had a headgasket let go and water has got into the combustion chamber the pistons are usually in mint condition for some reason!!!!!

WHATEVER YOU DO.................DON'T USE MORE THAN A VERY FINE SPRAY IF YOU DO THIS.....................AS I'M PRETTY SURE YOU RUN THE RISK OF HYDRAULICALLY LOCKING YOUR ENGINE........SIMILAR TO DRIVING THROUGH FLOODWATER AND SERIOUSLY DAMAGING YOUR ENGINE :shock: :shock: