Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Scuttle sealant coming away

Anyone had this? The sealant has come away from the scuttle area floor - see pic.

I can break pieces off it and probably remove the whole lot. I'm thinking remove it and re-seal.

Nope I've never experienced that in any of the C's I've owned.

It seems very strange but I agree, clean back anything that is not doing it's job of protecting the metal, treat to be on the safe side, and reseal.

Then keep fingers crossed that nothing nasty is happening for years to come.

It's not sealant, it's bitument sheet for sound deadening (same as the stuff in the doors), but yeah that happened to mine and I've seen it in a couple of others too. It's just the heat from the engine bay soaking through the firewall and drying out the glue. More of an issue with the VR6.

I just pulled it all out and applied a thick layer of Greystripe instead, then painted and laquered it.

It's not sealant, it's bitument sheet for sound deadening (same as the stuff in the doors), but yeah that happened to mine and I've seen it in a couple of others too. It's just the heat from the engine bay soaking through the firewall and drying out the glue. More of an issue with the VR6.

I just pulled it all out and applied a thick layer of Greystripe instead, then painted and laquered it.

Thanks Kev but what's Greystripe?

Greystripe.

You need to search for Kevs thread on treating rust and priming, painting for the full low down on greystripe but it's one of the stages of rust treatment / painting that Kev has discussed.

My bad, I thought Greystripe was quite well known on here :D

It's a paintable rubber sealer, aka "seam sealer", used to bond on and seal wings, rear panel gaps, under floor sealer / stone barrier etc etc. This stuff is the closest match I've found so far to the stuff they use at the factory and your local Halfords sell it! - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165625

Should still be available from VW. Atleast according to my relativly updated ETKA. Or am I looking at the wrong thing here?

Doesn't seem to cost too much either, so maybe give VW a call if you want to keep it "original"? :camp:

My ETKA lists it at 12.30+vat, and from my earlier experience with buying stuff is that it'll be somewhere around £15-20, but you never know. Some parts costs way more.. :censored:

Was at the dealers this morning too, I'll ask when I collect my parts on Thursday. I might go for the Greystripe, at least I can use it elsewhere too.