Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Bigger rims and lower suspension - Issues?

Thinking of going up from 15 inch speedlines to 16 or 17 inch somethings. Also the suspension is original and could obviously do with a replacement. Coilovers seem to be the thing. So if I were to go to 17s and a set of coilvers with 40 mm drop would I be dragging on the ground or would one cancel out the other? Also would I be rubbing the tyres on the arches? One more if I may? How does the speedo react to a change of wheel size?

Thanks for your time!

I've got 17's with a 40mm drop and there is still a gap from the tyre to arch so don't worry about scraping the road, its not going to happen. As long as you keep the rolling radius of the new wheels/ tyres the same as the old ones, there won't be an issue with the speedo being out. Most run with 205/40/17's and that will give you virtually the same rolling radius as 205/50/15's. As for tyres rubbing on the arches, depends on the ET of the wheels you put on, mine are ET38 and have no rubbing ever.

HTH

IMG_4169.jpg

Ditto, mines on KW V1's and 17's, dropped as far as they'll allow really. Get the odd scrape but can clear all road humps without a problem!

As above really on scrapes (I'm also on KW V1s and 17s). I have aimed for a 2 finger gap from top of tyre to arch all round and only occasionaly get rubbing on the front driver arch. In fact I think that was probably due to some settlement since I fitted them last year (either that or me putting weight on!) - so I just raised the front suspension 3 or 4 turns on that side and not had a problem since

Same as above. I have H&R RSS Clubsport coilies & 17" wheels with minimal scrapes. The only catching I get is when im on the ring :D

I got the occasional arch rub on the nearside rear with 8Jx17 ET35, but with 7Jx17 ET38, I get zero rubbing. Width and offset governs arch contact more than ride height 8)