Sign in to follow this  
Wompa

Semi-Shaved Bumper

Hi!

Im thinking of shaving my bumper... But not the whole thing just the insert for the numberplate and the fogs leaving the turns.

I have searched and cant find a damn thing! Just on picture! But I know that I have seen this somewhere else...

But what I wondering is how hard is this to do? The 100% shave it easy, just fill and paint but with the Semi-Shaved there is some issues with the turns if you want to remove them to change bulb for example.

Any tips and ideas? 8)

r9yruiva.jpg

Meh.

Doesn't look particularly offensive but I do think it looks daft having the number plate dangling like that. After all, that's what the recess in the bumper is for. Why bother trying to a Euro smooth look an' all that when you end up negating any improvements by having a stupid number plate hanging into thin air?

Maybe I'm getting old.

Meh.

Doesn't look particularly offensive but I do think it looks daft having the number plate dangling like that. After all, that's what the recess in the bumper is for. Why bother trying to a Euro smooth look an' all that when you end up negating any improvements by having a stupid number plate hanging into thin air?

Maybe I'm getting old.

X 2 ......I can understand it in the US where sometimes you see cars without front number plates (not sure if thats legal or not but seem to see it a lot) but in the UK it doesnt make sense to me - all that work to just position the number plate a few inch's lower :scratch:

No maybe about it, I am getting old.

EDIT : sorry Wompa thats neither a tip nor an idea just a moan :lol:

there was definitely a thread on here about it, the guy had used a spare bumper to cut the plate recess out, and placed the plate recess the other way round in the other bumper, he'd then plastic stictched the recess in, filled, sanded and painted. i think the same guy had just filled the recess with filler before, but it ends up cracking and looking rhubarb.

i like the mod, but don't like where the plate ends up.

Meh.

Maybe I'm getting old.

X 2 ......I can understand it in the US where sometimes you see cars without front number plates (not sure if thats legal or not but seem to see it a lot) but in the UK it doesnt make sense to me - all that work to just position the number plate a few inch's lower :scratch:

No maybe about it, I am getting old.

EDIT : sorry Wompa thats neither a tip nor an idea just a moan :lol:

In the US you only need to have a rear numberplate, the front is optional afaik. Also as the car generally sits low that you'd probably keep knocking the numberplate off

Meh.

Maybe I'm getting old.

maybe.... maybe. The only posts I ever see you post are moans. have you tried the chair test? If your knees creek then your in trouble! :tongue:

However, the man has a point. I don't see the appeal myself. But this is why we all have the wonder of free choice i suppose!

There was a thread on the forum regrading a method of filling in the plate that involved melting or "welding" a cut section from another bumper in the hole where the number plate used to go. Stopped all the problem with cracking and stuff. I don't remember when it was though.. sorry. It looked like quite a laborious process as well if im honest :?

What problems do you invisage with the lights again?

there was definitely a thread on here about it, the guy had used a spare bumper to cut the plate recess out, and placed the plate recess the other way round in the other bumper, he'd then plastic stictched the recess in, filled, sanded and painted. i think the same guy had just filled the recess with filler before, but it ends up cracking and looking rhubarb.

i like the mod, but don't like where the plate ends up.

you beat me too it :grin:

In the US you only need to have a rear numberplate, the front is optional afaik. Also as the car generally sits low that you'd probably keep knocking the numberplate off

.....ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up.

completely off topic but I often see people write 'afaik' - what the bloody hell does it mean :grin:

afaik it means 'as far as i know' :D

you beat me too it :grin:

only just, we're all too eager to help round here :D

As Far As I Know :D

bugger, now you beat me to it :lol:

Meh.

Maybe I'm getting old.

maybe.... maybe. The only posts I ever see you post are moans. have you tried the chair test? If your knees creek then your in trouble! :tongue:

However, the man has a point. I don't see the appeal myself. But this is why we all have the wonder of free choice i suppose!

This one, although I see your point, isn't a moan. I'm still entitled to a point of view, Mod or not, at the end of the day. Ok so maybe he didn't directly request an opinion but if it saves someone a lot of time and money for something they're ultimately unhappy with, due to it either looking arse or starting to crack (see previous arse comment :tongue:) then that's what forums are for.

I just guess I don't comprehend the whole 'how can I make my car different to how VW designed it' approach. Do things that are positive, not just because fashion dictates that you have to be something other than intended/designed.

Otherwise it just gets to the point where you replace the seats with shiny spikes, remove the wipers and then lower it closer to the floor that Ron Jeremy's schlong.

As I said, maybe I'm getting old.

Nobody has asked if you need a front numberplate in Sweden?

If not, go for it Whompa, will look great without the numberplate. Don't worry about the usual moaner's:-)

Good spot. I'm in the same camp - looks good if you don't have to stick the plate in a daft position. Again, absolutely no help as to how to go about it. Chewing gum and plywood?

EDIT : And Polyfiller?

think this is the how to thread everyone keeps mentioning. Seems like a lot of effort to me but good luck if you decide to go for it. Not sure I'm keen on the front without fog lights either :?

HAHA! There seems to be allot of disquisition on the numberplate more than the actual mod! :lol:

The thing is that both my fogs are brown.. yes brown! Water and rust :gag: And I dont want to pay over 100quid for a pair of clean ones and then need to resparay the bumper because of all the stone chips and that a previous owner must have drove into something because its damages.

And I dont use fogs! They have never worked!!! Not even the rear one... I have tried everything and now I think that the cables are damage deep in the car.

The thing is also to be legal I need the front turn so this mod is just what Im looking for, clean and not so "Hey look at me" as the clean fronts are....

And yes, we need the numberplate in the front or its 50quid to pay to the police :norty:

A respray of the front cost about 80£ for me so why not do something? And a friend of my use fiberglass and foam to create the completely shaved bumper.

imgp4341.jpg

:lol:

Any more thoughts??? :camp:

I dont think the chair on the roof is such a good idea :lol:

Im still undecided, im so used to the car having the lights in the bumper that is just looks odd to me but each to their own i guess

I think it looks quite good, better than my blackpainted fogs! :lol:

Its clean but not in a way that scream "Look at me!!"

It looks oem but not :)

Think I've seen someone use the Mk1/MK2 Golf bumper indicators. Think those would look a bit better then just the standard Corrado indicators in the bumper..

Picture of the ones I mean:

golfgti038.jpg

Anyone got a picture of these on a Corrado?

I personally think that it would look ass because the Corrado doesnt have the right lines for so small indicators. They just look odd.

My friend did have that before the completley shaved the bumper.

125973-1172438.jpg

....and does it have Venoms as well? :gag:

I own the Venoms now!!! :lol: :clap: Awesome wheels btw!!!