Sign in to follow this  
RIMnCHOP

jammed oil filter

hello

last weekend i decided to change the oil filter and oil on my 93vr6.after draining the oil out i put a 36mm socket onto wrench and tried to undo the oil filter. no joy the filter will not move tried rachett straps on the 82mm bit futher up still wouldnt budge. after a few more tries it eventually snapped the plastic 36mm bolt bit near the drain plug. :mad2:

so iam ofiically stuck on how to get the bastard filter out :confused4: :scratch:

was thinking last resort smash it out but i aint seen anyware what sells the oil filter housing?

any help or advice much appreciated :)

You could always go for the old fashioned approach - shove a screwdriver through the filter and use that as leverage.

Alternatively can you get the end caps that fit over the filters for the VR ? Halfords sell them for the valvers. I use one and in conjunction with a mini T-Bar it comes off nice and smooth.

end caps

thats what i need by the sounds of it

does that fit over the 82mm filterhousing?

cheers mate

will nip too halfords and have a look

You can still buy the plastic filter holder from VW, so the if worst comes to the worst you can chop yours off and replace it. Or as suggested, drill a hole through both sides of it and shove a long screwdriver through.

A filter wrench might work, but if it's done up tight enough to snap off the plastic with a 36mm socket, I'm not sure a wrench would work either.