Sign in to follow this  
TimDoc

funny noises and loose cat cover

Hi all,

two issues ongoin

1. a high pitch squeal/whine that fluctuates rhythmically whilst the clutch is engaged (foot off the pedal) and the car is in gear. It occurs around every 3 seconds.

2. Had the MOT done the other day, the day before the exhaust started to rattle, so i was fully expecting them to say that i needed a segment replacing. However, they just comented that it was in poor nick and that the Cat Converter shield/cover was loose - is this something repairable, does it require a new cat also or just the cover repairing/replacing?

Appreciate any advice - am going to get under the car tomorrow to have a look.

Tim

Q: Are you still engaging all the gears ok?

This might help alittle... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch2.htm

If you find that your clutch has failed, here is an at-home diagnostic test that anyone can perform:

1.Start your car, set the parking break, and put the car in neutral.

2.With your car idling, listen for a growling noise without pushing the clutch in. If you hear something, it's most likely a problem with the transmission. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step three.

3.With the car still in neutral, begin to push the clutch and listen for noise. If you hear a chirping noise as you press, it's most likely the clutch release, or throw-out bearing. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step four.

4.Push the clutch all the way to the floor. If you hear a squealing noise, it's probably the pilot bearing or bushing.

If you don't hear any noise during these four steps, then your problem is probably not the clutch. If you hear the noise at idle and it goes away when the clutch is pressed, it may be an issue in the contact point between the fork and pivot ball.

Wouldn't have thought it would have been much different on the VR's compared to a basic clutch description.

Still trying to define 'the cat cover' ???

I know on some vehicle exhausts they have a heat shield fitted over or around sections which are close to either bodywork/wiring or just to protect it but I havent seen an additional shield or guard fitted to a VR Cat before..... could they have mistaken this for the shield around the downpipe(s)??? or is it only fitted on original and standard cat's... Would be interesting to know if they should be one.... cause it ain't on mine. :shrug:

See if this helps.....

MICRO EXHAUST FRONT SECTION.gif[/attachment:21qrmk2i]

Its a shield fitted to the underside of the original CAT - protects from stones etc.

See the CAT on the middle right of the pic, You can just see it. Its welded onto the CAT. If its loose just pull/cut it off, its not needed and shouldnt make you fail an MOT.

or get a BIG jubilee clip around it to hold it in place and stop the rattle... ;)

I had problems with a rattling cat heat shield recently and after lifting the car at a mechanics you could see that one of the mounting bolt/nut combination had corroded - just removed the whole shield and have had no problems and no more embarrassing noises when idling or pulling off. As it's just there to protect the ground underneath the car and not the underbody from excess heat, it should be fine. Just don't park in a puddle of petrol.....

Just don't park in a puddle of petrol.....

Always wise words! :lol:

am getting a new cat back system fitted this friday - having it made at long life exhausts, will see if he can weld the shield straight back on!

Worth a try!

T