Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

2.8 or 2.9?

In my 7 months of Corrado ownership a number of people have looked admiringly at my VR6 and said "That's the one with the 2.8 in it isn't it?".

Now I thought it was a 2.9 but clearly a number of people have the idea that it is a 2.8. What's all that about then? :shrug:

2.9 was scrappily thrown together just for the Corrado, every other 12v VR6 block on the planet is 2.8 so it's a common mistake.

When you correct them don't forget to remind them yours has an extra 16bhp :)

Was the 2.9 also just for UK or Euro spec Corrados too? The American spec is 2.8 isn't it?

Yeah good point, They've got 174bhp SLC's over there, 2.9 really is a rare beast

Passats also got the 2.9 didn't they?

Dunno, I thought it was just 'Rados but I could be wrong. Be handy if they did as it's an extra place to look for a second hand one if needed

Our Passats got the 2.8 but something tells me there was a Euro Passat with a 2.9 (and possibly synchro).

Yeah there was an assortment of 2.9 engined cars in Europe, but the US did indeed only get a 2.8

But to compensate for that and to make the yanks feel they're not missing out on anything, the SLC got a 3.68 final drive, so the 0-60 time is very close, or matches the 2.9, IIRC.

The 2.9 had everything done to it in order to make the Corrado the fastest VW of all time (at the time) with it's 146mph top speed (higher rev limit, free flowing intake, more top end etc) but whilst still coming under the 200hp German insurance limit (200+ hp cars were clobbered with massive premiums in the 90s).

This is why when you take off the

This is why when you take off the

Could you elaborate on that Kev?

I didnt know VW kept it under 200bhp was due to insurance purposes.

Daft question time - the quoted 190bhp is that at the wheels or flywheel? :confused:

LOL, what have I started? :lol:

By '200hp restrictions', I meant physical ones, i.e mild cams, intake, throttle size etc etc.

Replacing them with a Schrick intake (or VSR), 268 cams, AMD throttle body and a remap generally sees 225 -230hp. That is the kit VW intended to use originally, but due to the insurance, didn't. BMW did the same with the 328i, it had a restrictive intake and they make good power too when freed from the shackles.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there was a CHEAP way to get past 200hp!

didnt relise you could buy bigger throttle bodys other than upgrading a 2.8 to a 2.9 you learn sumit new every day

i dont wana sound like a retard kev but and i did have a look on there web site, was the amd throttle body made for obd1 and 2 or just 1 and is it worth the extra money (best part of £300)

also is this just a waste of time mod if any1 is thinking of goin forced inductiion or would this help aswell

Bloody hell Kev, you nearly let the cat out of the bag regarding the 190bhp limit restrictor there buddy.

Close one!

LOL, no bags, no cats :D

Yeah the OBD1 Golf and Corrado throttles can be enlarged, but OBD2 can't as it's a sealed unit. By enlarged I mean a bigger throttle plate so it flows more air, not just a polish up like you see on the ebay "big bore" throttles.

If you're interested in a proper big bore throttle, drop [email protected] an email, or PM him (alpina527). He's the guy who used to do the throttles for AMD :wink: He's a top chap. Got a few throttles from him over the years and all top notch. He charged £150 exchange last time I got one.

I've tried normal and big bore throttles on both turbo, S/C and norm asp and they do make a worthy difference. I also like to use the Golf throttle as it has a much softer spring and also a ramp in the throat to improve bottom end torque a little. Golf and corrado throttles swap over directly (except OBD2, different intake).

LOL, no bags, no cats :D

Yeah the OBD1 Golf and Corrado throttles can be enlarged, but OBD2 can't as it's a sealed unit. By enlarged I mean a bigger throttle plate so it flows more air, not just a polish up like you see on the ebay "big bore" throttles.

If you're interested in a proper big bore throttle, drop [email protected] an email, or PM him (alpina527). He's the guy who used to do the throttles for AMD :wink: He's a top chap. Got a few throttles from him over the years and all top notch. He charged £150 exchange last time I got one.

I've tried normal and big bore throttles on both turbo, S/C and norm asp and they do make a worthy difference. I also like to use the Golf throttle as it has a much softer spring and also a ramp in the throat to improve bottom end torque a little. Golf and corrado throttles swap over directly (except OBD2, different intake).

cheers for that kev

might be worth a think, the only thing is i was also interested in going obd2 so would the money not be better spent going towards that, sayin that i guess this would be better in the vr6 forced induction thread but anyway

what responds better to a turbo obd1 or 2 management or isnt there much in it?