Sign in to follow this  
edd

should be an easy one - dash input

hey guys this should be a fairly easy one for you but ivebeen meaning to ask this for a while, by the clock adjustment buttons on the front of the dash there is and plastic cap that when removed looks like an lead input (for a computer tester or something like that) From the forum i get the impression VAG COMs input is down by the gearleaver (or box cant remember). Now i have a 91 1.8 16v and my mechanic tells me my model doesnt have the VAG Com thingy. Can somebody enlighten me as to wether i do, if so is this the imput; and if i dont what is this!

Cheers guys

I beleive it is an older diagnostic port, but can't be sure as I've never seen one before.

I'm quite sure i've heard someone mention this port before, and thats what it was used for

I'm pretty certain that this cap is just a blank for a buzzer on some models... It is for the oil pressure warning.

VAG-COM will talk to G60s (although in a VERY limited fashion :roll: ) VR6s and AFAIK 2.0 8V and 16V Corrados. The 1.8 16V (KR) engine doesn't have an ECU as such and so talking to it would be pretty useless! :lol:

hennys right...wot you would expect to see is a 2x2 pin connector under the gear gaitor shift...but i was told 2days ago that the only way to check diognostics on a 16v KR is to find a ground wire on the ECU and attach some sort of light that flashes a number of times to tell you what the problem could be.

I'm sure theres a techy term for this.

VAG-COM will try to communicate in 'dumb' mode with G60s and 2.0 16Vs. The KR 1800 engine doesn't have an ECU as such, but rather a hardwired set of parameters that aren't adjustable by software.

You need the TWIN-COM adapter cable for G60s and 2.0 16Vs which slots into the standard HEX-COM cable.

Digifant 3 uses a hybrid protocol and as such VAG-COM will just output the raw data headers and not decipher it, as per the dealer's VW1551 & 1552 scanners. VR6s use the VAG OBD1/2 standard KWP-1281 & KWP-2089 protocols and therefore VAG-COM can translate the label files into meaningful codes.

I would say don't bother with VAG-COM on a G60/2.016V unless you're prepared to fiddle about trying to get it to communicate in dumb mode, but if you've got a VR, it's a must have. It'll pay for itself after 3 visits to the dealer!

K