Sign in to follow this  
G60 NUBE

Coilovers

My first set of coilovers were a set of V-Maxx which cost about £350 - ok not as cheap as them but still the cheaper end of the market. Compared to the KWs i replaced them with they are worlds apart imo. The ride on the KWs are firm but well composed and certainly not unbearable on our terribly bumpy roads.

However the V-Maxx were noticably harder and i found them bouncy on normal roads. The quality didnt look bad on the v-maxx to be honest, but i didnt keep them long enough to find out how long they lasted.

I can only say that i understand people are on a budget, but if you have little to spend then go for a spring shock set up, which will allow you to get a better setup for your money. Rather then getting a cheap set of coilovers.

my 2ps.

well that's just great :brickwall: - I'm about to collect a set of V-max coilers from 'frankie'! :pale: Tell me there not that bad!! They were voted 'Fast Car - Coilover of the year 2007'. Fact!

fk's seem to get a bad rating/reputation form alot of people. seems they have problems with seizing alot.

having never owned a set i am not the best to judge. but from general hearsay they seem to be one to avoid.

well that's just great :brickwall: - I'm about to collect a set of V-max coilers from 'frankie'! :pale: Tell me there not that bad!! They were voted 'Fast Car - Coilover of the year 2007'. Fact!

Depends what the criteria for testing is really. If the objective is to lower the car and reduce body roll, then any coilover will achieve that.

It's the ride quality that is subject to the most debate and I'm afraid to say, in most cases, the more you spend, the better it is.

For instance, after a recent comparison between KW V1 and V3 (both on VR6s), I found the difference in ride quality to be night / day, as did the owner of the car with the V1s. Where suspension is concerned, they are NOT all made equal :D

Same company, same basic kit, but the quality of the V3 dampers and their adjustments is what gives you ride quality.

Many people misunderstand adjustable dampers as being "track only" and not needed for road cars. Completely incorrect. Adjustable dampers work equally well both on the road and the track and imo, if you want to tailor the ride quality to your own tastes, adjustable damping should be mandatory, not optional :D

My first set of coilovers were a set of V-Maxx which cost about £350 - ok not as cheap as them but still the cheaper end of the market. Compared to the KWs i replaced them with they are worlds apart imo. The ride on the KWs are firm but well composed and certainly not unbearable on our terribly bumpy roads.

However the V-Maxx were noticably harder and i found them bouncy on normal roads. The quality didnt look bad on the v-maxx to be honest, but i didnt keep them long enough to find out how long they lasted.

I can only say that i understand people are on a budget, but if you have little to spend then go for a spring shock set up, which will allow you to get a better setup for your money. Rather then getting a cheap set of coilovers.

my 2ps.

AAAhhh your post on the other thread makes sense now.

Well they did what i wanted at the time and that was make the car lower, but as a daily i just couldnt bear then after a while.

Sprinter, why dont you try them and judge for yourself. You may find that they're not THAT bad, esp if you've had nothing to compare them to.