KIPVW

No first gear And reverse difficult to select. Fixed :-)

Having trouble selecting first and reverse on the 8v. anyone have any ideas? have checked the brake fluid reservoir and that all ok so was thinking one of the master or slave cylinders but though the pedal hit the floor if that went :scratch:

Thanks!

Kip

Sounds like what happened to mine mate, turned out the linkage on top of the box had worked it's way loose. Worth checking there. Get someone to move the gearstick left/right while you have a look. It was impossible to miss what had happened on mine, and sorted in seconds with a socket set.

HTH.

Just looked at the linkage above the gearbox and that all looks ok so i'll have a look at the gear surround now too!

Thanks! :salute:

Cant see anything under the gearstick area but then not sure what i'm supposed to be looking for! :(

Clip fallen off the gearshift mech under the shift surround?

Oh yeah!! Forgot the circlip!!

KIP, pretty sure there's a picture on here, have a search for gearstick circlip.

It's on the left hand side of the shifter mech.

Had a look and both of these seem intact so a bit confused :brickwall: maybe its a little adjustment on the 13mm bolt on the gear shifter that needs a tweek? Ho Hum.

Wierd but i seem to be able to select first gear but it actually goes into third on the box :scratch: so i have 2 third gears if that makes sense :|

never heard of that one before.

Wierd but i seem to be able to select first gear but it actually goes into third on the box :scratch: so i have 2 third gears if that makes sense :|

never heard of that one before.

Definitely sounds like the left/right mech on top of the box KIP.

When mine came loose, 1st gear was where reverse normally is, 3rd where 1st normally is etc.

Did you get someone to move the stick left and right while you had a butchers under the bonnet??

partly broken/cracked plastic cable connector on top of gearshift tower (the left/right selector cable)

the black plastic part can crack and may still look OK from the outside initially

Yeah, I did the wiggling while Kip did the watching..... but as he says, he's not really sure what he's looking for.

Maybe get another chance to look tonight but I think the VR will get all the attention till after Stanford.

Suppose we ought to compare it with my 8v, see if we can see anything different.

partly broken/cracked plastic cable connector on top of gearshift tower (the left/right selector cable)

the black plastic part can crack and may still look OK from the outside initially

i'd go with this, i had the same problem. As you look at the gearbox there are 2 cables and its the one on the left.

the pic in my members thread shows it broken.

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64087&start=36

also in the wiki there is a guide for adjusting the cables if it isn't cracked/shorn

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=75738

Thanks for the reply's boys. I'll have a look tonight.

I did look at your gallery jim but couldn't see if mine was the same.

Hopefully an easy fix as it just happened instantly rather than over a period of time. Thanks will keep ya posted.

Thanks for the reply's boys. I'll have a look tonight.

I did look at your gallery jim but couldn't see if mine was the same.

Hopefully an easy fix as it just happened instantly rather than over a period of time. Thanks will keep ya posted.

Well when that happened obviously I lost all sideways selection and could only get 3rd and 4th, so maybe yours is just badly cracked and bending, not giving the full movement.

Oh and a new bit from VW is about 12 quid and 10 minutes of swearing to fit.

Well didb't really get the chance to look as busy prepping the VR for stanford hall but very strange thing that i took it for a quick spin round the block and it sometimes works perfectly normal and sometimes as if 1st gear is actually 3rd :cuckoo: Wierd

All fixed now. Was indeed the 13 nut on top of the gear box that had worked loose. Couldn't see it the first time I looked but all became clear with the info from here. Thanks for your help guys :-)

Kip

All fixed now. Was indeed the 13 nut on top of the gear box that had worked loose. Couldn't see it the first time I looked but all became clear with the info from here. Thanks for your help guys :-)

Kip

Thought it sounded familiar KIP, glad it's sorted cheaply!! :D

Kip

hi anyone got a pic of how to fix this!