Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Replacing springs

My 'rado was lowered when i bought it and with no noticeable logo or anything i was pretty unsure what brand they were. All i know was that the struts were blue and the springs red, can't tell you how much they're lowered by as i don't know the existing height.

Was having a clean the other day and thought i'd see if i could find a part number etc, and i found this:

VW 507H 24-02 HIGH PERFORMANCE on the struts, and

VW 010 HA 26/02

These were on the rear springs, i couldn't find anything on the front, but i didnt take the wheels off so there is probably something there. It makes me believe that they are genuine VW performance suspension...have looked online and cant find anything

The ride seems quite hard and is quite bumpy on our dodgy roads, although the only other 'rado ive been in is Nova's VR6 which has standard suspension so i've not got much to compare it with VS other aftermarket suspension set ups

Any thoughts?

VW on the springs is likely to just a manufacturers mark to indicate which manufacturer the springs fit.

VW did not provide 'sports' suspension packages for the Corrado as it already came with suspension set-up for the car being a sports coupe.

VW do also not prefix their part numbers with 'VW'. VW part numbers follow a standardised format of 037 907 385 with the addition of leter suffixes to indicate part number revisions.

Hope that clears that up for you :)

VW on the springs is likely to just a manufacturers mark to indicate which manufacturer the springs fit.

VW did not provide 'sports' suspension packages for the Corrado as it already came with suspension set-up for the car being a sports coupe.

VW do also not prefix their part numbers with 'VW'. VW part numbers follow a standardised format of 037 907 385 with the addition of leter suffixes to indicate part number revisions.

Hope that clears that up for you :)

Well i guess it helps to know its not VW but now im back to square one :lol: i wonder if anyone can assist in identifying them for me...

from looking at the pics/size of your wheels id say you are on 40mm lowering springs.

i have 40mm lowering springs on mine, red too. they are coming off next week, so i will have a good look for any stamps on them.

I Googled it and got this:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91793

HTH

his own thread :scratch:

Yep!

:grin:

Google had about 3 results - 2 in German .... and his own thread. Thought it might help :lol:

part numbers are listed near the bottom of his page :lol:

They're also listed at the top of this one :tongue:

I Googled it and got this:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91793

HTH

his own thread :scratch:

Yep!

:grin:

Google had about 3 results - 2 in German .... and his own thread. Thought it might help :lol:

Not helpful.... :nono: :lol:

Had a bit of another snoop and found this VW part number on a plastic cover which sits inside the spring, it wasn't printed it was raised so would have been part of the original moulding when it was made:

191 513 425 TAH GERMANY 3 (with the VW logo)

Does this ring any bells?

Edit, found that this is a protection sleeving....seems im still none the wiser as to who made my springs/struts :(

Reviving my old thread

Ok so since I have had to do some work on the C for her MOT and part of that was to replace my springs I have found, after trawling the internet and various sites (that needed translating) I have worked out that my springs (and quite possibly the shocks also) are made my a company called Autotecnhics; the stamp VW011 VA means that the springs are for the front and VW010 HA are rear springs, I have also concluded that the 26/02 is probably a date. Unfortunately now im running standards at the front and lowered at the back, obviously this is going to alter the ride and handling but for its mot and until i can get new springs it is all i can do.

I need to work out how much the car was lowered by so i can replace the springs, also whether it was the same at the front and the back.

My question is can i use different springs on the same shocks, ie if my car was lowered by 40mm can i use springs that will lower it by 60mm on the same shocks that were for the 40mm springs or is that just stupid :lol:

Also is there anyway to work out what kinda drop I had on the car, bare in mind i've already put the standards on and removed the springs from the shocks...

if the dampers are designed to run on shorter springs (eg koni's - which often specify and operating range) then all will be fine, but aside from the issue of spring and damper rates not matching, the main issue you will have is that a damper designed for a normal ride height will be operating at the end of it's travel, this affects it's operation and lifespan, don't be surprised if the dampers start to leak in no time.

As a rough guide to ride height the gap between arch and a 15" tyre and the angle of the front wishbones is a good guide.

Early cars seemed to have slightly shorter springs and sit lower (G60's and 1.8 16v's) my 94 8v sits with about 70mm between tyre top and arch front and rear, the 16v on eibach springs (supposedly 40mm drop) has about half that.

8v wishbones point very much down, 16v's are about dead level.