Sign in to follow this  
Republic Of Mancunia

Storm Owners!

Just a quick question. There were only 500 Storms made, 250 green and 250 blue. Were these Storms numbered in any way e.g. 140/500 ??

The consensus of opinion seems to be no. The run of storm production was scattered through the final model year's run, so the VINs are anywhere in that year's range.

Bear in mind that the storms were built by Karmann as standard VR6's with BBS solitude wheels (and in the case of the blue ones, "non-Corrado-standard" paint!) and it was the dealers in the UK that applied the Storm badges when they got here...

Maybe VW @ Milton Keynes hold a register somewhere, I know you can phone up the 0800 cust. svc line and they'll tell you from the VIN if it's a genuine storm.

Or maybe someone in the CCGB holds a register? (Chris Gaskell???)

And the last Storm to be made ("No. 500" !!!) is in the VW museum at Wolfsburg.

Forget that idea. Data Protection and all that!

A list of VINs would in no way whatsoever have anything to do with the DPA.

It may not be specifically defined under the DPA but most companies are now ultra careful as the DPA has a very wide coverage.

On the basis that the DPA does not apply :wink: Does anyone here work for VAG or have access to this data.

Bloody VW. They numbered the recent MKIV Golf Anniversarys with a plaque so I think that the storms should have been numbered too, especially with the price premium that they had over a standard VR. Somewhere discreet with a small plaque on the dash or on the VIN at least rather than just different badge, alloys, paint, grille. And air con would have been nice too! After all they were the final 500 of what we all regard as a legend, no matter what the derivative. :lol:

After all they were the final 500 of what we all regard as a legend, no matter what the derivative. :lol:

erm, actually not the final 500... They were mixed into the final run of 'rados, and the final car off the line was a storm, but the last 500 weren't all storms. That's what makes identifying them difficult 'cos the chassis numbers are all over the place rather than being consecutive... :roll:

I do agree with the legend bit though... :wink: 8) :lol:

BBS Solitudes..

A few badges..

Colour coded grille (I think?)

An extra bonus point to the insurance group ( 19 instead of 18 )

And the combination of Mystic Blue paint with black leather, or Classic Green with cream leather.

I believe the Mystic Blue was, for the Corrado at least, a Storm only colour..

Given the few differences between a 'Storm' and any late model high spec Corrado what do you think of modifications to a 'Storm'?

Personally although I don't own a 'Storm' I would feel obliged to leave it in a stock unmodified condition. Any departure away from this standard spec. andf it would take away from its uniqueness.

I like the freedom do do a few minor mods on a car but wouldn't want to alter such a Limited Edition car. What does anyone else think?

Given the few differences between a 'Storm' and any late model high spec Corrado what do you think of modifications to a 'Storm'?

Personally although I don't own a 'Storm' I would feel obliged to leave it in a stock unmodified condition. Any departure away from this standard spec. andf it would take away from its uniqueness.

I like the freedom do do a few minor mods on a car but wouldn't want to alter such a Limited Edition car. What does anyone else think?

I agree but I think reversible modifications would be ok.

being a storm owner myself..........i find that leaving one totally original is ok.......but i feel they(like all late VR's) benefit looks wise from lower suspension.....ok mine is approx 65mm lowered so some might think its a bit too radical but the standard ride height is a joke.........as it makes the wheels look totally lost in the arches.........lowering it by even 30mm makes the original solitudes look a hell of a lot less "lost"..............all IMHO

also as long as it is a genuine storm with the badges intact i dont think subtle mods detract from its standard spec.......and as for its "uniqueness" at the end of the day as ive stated before its just a leathered up VR that attracts a hefty premium cos of a couple of badges and different wheels and mystic blue paint(on 50% of them).....tbh the only people who scored with the storm were those that bought them new as i believe it worked out cheaper than speccing a VR with leather.......the bulk of ppl who bought 2nd hand would have paid a premium over the standard(even leathered up) VR............though later on some us were lucky to pick them up at normal VR prices.......just my 2pence :wink:

I actually agree that the 'Storm' was essentially just a badging exercisely and really no diifferent from any high spec. late model.

I also would do minor mods if I owned one, ride height etc but keep them reversible. I just think you'd need teflon skin from purists (anoraks?) deriding you for daring to interfere with a 'Storm'.

I think I would return any late spec. car to standard prior to resale....

Well I suppose they were just essentially rebadged VR6's.

But if I did own one, I would keep it as is - standard! It is listed in VW's records as being 1 of 500, and it is recognised differently for identification and insurance purposes... so I guess it is somewhat different if only on paper! :)

Ive just carried out the suspension mod on my Storm (30mm drop) . If you look carefully at this VW publicity shot the Storm featured is lowered and sits level exactly as my Storm now does so this mod is ok by me!.

Dave. Mystic blue Storm

and if i'm not mistaken if you look very closely you'll also notice what appears to be the bigger front spoiler too :wink:

I have this pic at home in A3 size and even though they are correct storm wheels I've always thought that they have never looked quite right in that pic, the gap sizes between each spoke just doesnt appear consistent to me and some spokes look thicker than others! Or is it just my poor eyesight?! :scrambleup: :?

Yeah, Its the light on the picture (or lack of it) - I think the car looks good but the lighting they used doesn't really do the wheels justice

No fraid not. As I said earlier it really should have done though, the only mention of storm on the car are the two small red badges and thats it! :roll: :wink:

I have this pic at home in A3 size and even though they are correct storm wheels I've always thought that they have never looked quite right in that pic, the gap sizes between each spoke just doesnt appear consistent to me and some spokes look thicker than others! Or is it just my poor eyesight?! :scrambleup: :?

The spokes at the bottom of the wheels (i.e nearer the ground) look shorter than the spokes at the top to me - could be the angle the pic was taken from. :?