Sign in to follow this  
Jim Hughes

Engine Mount Advice

Hello,

Both front and rear are shot on my 91 J plate 1.8 16V where do I find the best replacement, value for money and all that, I did a search about 12 months ago and there were some to avoid. Any advice would be very welcome. :shrug:

I have ventured on to German eBay as I there a very few decently priced options in the UK - search for 'polyurethan'.

My front mount should arrive next week...

The best option is standard VW or Vibratechnics. I've gone with Vibratechnics on my 16v and they're great. Only marginally more expensive than VW. Give the boys at DG Autotech a shout.

I have ventured on to German eBay as I there a very few decently priced options in the UK - search for 'polyurethan'.

My front mount should arrive next week...

This has been sitting on my shelf for a while, but after a bit of a fuss involving a snapped bolt, I have fitted this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Ended up being just under £50 inc P&P. These are 80A shore hardness, so just softer than a Black Forest industries Stage 1 (85A).

This should be stock - any increase in vibration is negligible, but the subtle changes to the way it drives are noticeably better.

Well worth £50 and half an hour of your time IMHO!

Vibratechnics on a 16V is hellish. I've got one on mine and I can't stand it. Much preferred the GSF mount I had on it before. Not sure if the VT mount I have is some race / motorsport spec or something but the vibration in transmits into the cabin is beyond belief! :(

Reckon it must be race spec, mate. I've got fast road front and rear, and you can barely notice the vibration.

Corrado is off to DG soon for an MOT and a bit of fettling (well, will be when I book it) so I might get them to have a look and fit an OE one so I can sell the VT. The vibration in the cabin once you get to the high end of the rev range is really something else!

I've got an old front VT mount on mine (fast road) and although it does have some movement I have to agree with Jim, I've got standard rear and G-box mounts and the front VT makes considerably more vibration at idle, may be not as bad a Jim experiences but when I first swapped it I was disappointed, you get used to it though and gearchanges do benefit.