Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Best way to get wider stance

Want to give my rado a wider stance, is the best way just to add spacers and use longer bolts? What is the widest i can get away with having ET35 wheels which are 7in wide already?

Sorry if this has been covered before

Thanks!

On my 2.0 16v i had MIM 1900's all round. They were ET25 and 15x7 and i managed to get the rears down to ET5 with 20mm spacers and fronts to ET10 with 15mm spacers. To say they were 7's they filled the arches pretty well!

Haven't got any proper pics of the arches close up though. But they were with 185/45 tyres so there was a little bit of stretch.

On my 2.0 16v i had MIM 1900's all round. They were ET25 and 15x7 and i managed to get the rears down to ET5 with 20mm spacers and fronts to ET10 with 15mm spacers. To say they were 7's they filled the arches pretty well!

Haven't got any proper pics of the arches close up though. But they were with 185/45 tyres so there was a little bit of stretch.

So spacers are the way to go then, i guess i should just play around and see what width i can get? What would be the best offset to achieve? or the best clearance for the arches?

To get a wider stance, simply eat more cake.

What cake are you offering? :tongue:

To get a wider stance, simply eat more cake.

What cake are you offering? :tongue:

Double choc black forest gateaux. Yum.

Apart from wider wheels, then spacers are the way forward. Try to get hubcentric ones as they hold the wheel properly.

Something like this? They are 20mm will get my offset down to ET15 both front and rear, will need to check my centre bore before i buy them as they are hubcentric

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-mil-HUB-SPACER-KIT-SUITABLE-VOLKSWAGEN-PASSAT-/350341238206?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item5191f70dbe

Or can i mix different sizes; ie use three 7mm spacers and they will be cheaper and get 21mm for £30 (£20 cheaper) or is using multiple adaptors not wise....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Corrado-Spacers-7mm-Shims-/140383007182?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item20af7ab1ce

Something like this? They are 20mm will get my offset down to ET15 both front and rear, will need to check my centre bore before i buy them as they are hubcentric

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-mil-HUB-SPACER-KIT-SUITABLE-VOLKSWAGEN-PASSAT-/350341238206?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item5191f70dbe

Or can i mix different sizes; ie use three 7mm spacers and they will be cheaper and get 21mm for £30 (£20 cheaper) or is using multiple adaptors not wise....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Corrado-Spacers-7mm-Shims-/140383007182?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item20af7ab1ce

nooooo. :nono:

http://www.wheels.uk.com/acatalog/wheel-spacers-vw-corrado-5.html

Iv got some hubcentric spacers fitted to mine mate, il show you on thursday when you collect the bumpers

Iv got some hubcentric spacers fitted to mine mate, il show you on thursday when you collect the bumpers

Cool, that will be helpful to see :)

Thanks, the prices are really good and would be 100% better than ebay, need to see if the centre bore for the hubcentric fits mine, also the site for the bolts looks good too.

Cheers for the responses

Jay

I got these of ebay, they come with 16 extended bolts per kit :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Any good? i would probably want wider ones than these and for the same price i can get 26mm or 30mm for £47 from FK racing that Swompy suggested although they don't come with the longer bolts but he also suggested a website that looked pretty cheap...

To get back to your question before mate spacers would be my choice yeah! It was what i did and it made the car look 10 times better. But at the same time you've got to think about tyre choice if you get too close to the arches.

I had to fold my rear lips to get them down to ET5 but it means i can get the rears to sit perfectly so 8)

The 20mm set and 15mm set i got off a lad on here and i do believe they were the similar ebay ones, both Hubcentrics. Only difference was the 15mm's used longer bolts and bolted the wheels to the hub that way and the 20mm's were ones that bolted to the hub first, then you bolted the wheel to the spacer. The double bolt style get my vote. But both were fine.

As the lips were folded on mine you wont get a 7 inch wheel to ET5 with standard arches but i'm sure you could manage something like ET20 or 15 at a push.

I had to fold my rear lips to get them down to ET5 but it means i can get the rears to sit perfectly so 8)

As the lips were folded on mine you wont get a 7 inch wheel to ET5 with standard arches but i'm sure you could manage something like ET20 or 15 at a push.

Thanks, so what would be the best way to measure what i could get without having to buy the spacers and find that they don't fit..

as an alternative do a search for 'widetrack conversion' or 'mk3 beam/ subframe'

a wee bit more involved than spacers tho :)

as an alternative do a search for 'widetrack conversion' or 'mk3 beam/ subframe'

a wee bit more involved than spacers tho :)

Yeah but im not dissuaded by extra work :lol: how much would i benefit from a mk3 rear frame and is it a direct fit?

Mk3 front and rear frames would be a cool thing to do but is a lot more work than some spacers.

I'd imagine you'll have to go 5 stud too? Not sure though.

Easiest way to measure where your wheel is going to sit with spacers is to make summat up with wood maybe? Or use something similar in width and see where it sits? Obv it wouldn't be perfect as there would be no weight on it so the suspension wont sit normally but could be a very easy and cheap way of finding out loosely.

Can't suggest anything easier/cheaper. :lol:

If you live anywhere near me in Halifax you're welcome to see how mine work on your car. :camp: Have just seen its Milton Keynes, probably not then. Haha.

Yeah but im not dissuaded by extra work :lol: how much would i benefit from a mk3 rear frame and is it a direct fit?

i looked into it when i had chance of getting a mk3 rear beam, i believe it's a straight fit, but i could never get to the bottom of the widening effect it gets you, read 20mm overall, i.e. 10mm each side, but that wasn't definite, there wasn't a front subframe available so I didn't pursue in the end as not really into the dragster look :D

Mk3 front and rear frames would be a cool thing to do but is a lot more work than some spacers.

I'd imagine you'll have to go 5 stud too? Not sure though.

Easiest way to measure where your wheel is going to sit with spacers is to make summat up with wood maybe? Or use something similar in width and see where it sits? Obv it wouldn't be perfect as there would be no weight on it so the suspension wont sit normally but could be a very easy and cheap way of finding out loosely.

Can't suggest anything easier/cheaper. :lol:

If you live anywhere near me in Halifax you're welcome to see how mine work on your car. :camp: Have just seen its Milton Keynes, probably not then. Haha.

haha no, well i should be going to see awigman today to pick up some parts and he's got spacers on his so i can see what he's got his ET down to...

Ok so i had a play at the weekend to see what i could get with the standard arch. Luckily (or not luckily depending how you look at it :lol: ) the rear isn't lowered too much and ive got engouh room about to bring the wheels out further without them rubbing. Without having a spacer to test i jacked the car off, removed the wheel and positioned it to the furthest point i though was legal with the arches ive got.

The picture shows the wheel position if i were to use 26mm spacers (or there abouts, possibly a few mm out as i just had the wheel standing freely from the car), what do you think, would i get away with buying them for the rears? or could i get away with more? This would put the ET from ET35 down to ET9 if i use 26mm spacers

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf100509_165443.jpg[/attachment:4mqkgh2i]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf100509_165456.jpg[/attachment:4mqkgh2i]

100509_165518.jpg[/attachment:4mqkgh2i]