Sign in to follow this  
C5 OEM

Uninspired..

Had my storm for a couple of weeks now and done a fair bit to it, but not loving it to drive..? :shrug:

It drives very straight and runs bang on but feels so slow..?

What am i missing..?!! my other car is a mk2 20v and obviously the difference is night and day...

Even considering selling it which is daft because its a very good corrado..

Advice/opinions

To be fair a standard VR isnt really that fast when compared to other newer cars these days. You do need to get it above 4krpm to get the real power. At the end of the day you dont own one of these things as they are the fastest cars, its more about the overall feeling / owning experience.

Your 20v Mk2 will be a lot lighter and the power delivery will be more diesel like when compared to the VR. There just two different cars.

I know it feels a different beast, just drove the corrado this morning and it cruises at 30 in 4th around town superb and feels very solid...

Im just used to the mk2 with the instant power,suppose i just need to get into the more refined drive.. :roll:

It's not built for cruising round town.

It's for a comfortable long'ish distance cruise on a mway or have fun getting it out onto real roads. :D

At the end of the day mate your Mk2 didnt leave the factory turbocharged, you made it that way, try equalling things out a little and stick a turbo on your Vr........

then see how unispired you still are!! :)

At the end of the day mate your Mk2 didnt leave the factory turbocharged, you made it that way, try equalling things out a little and stick a turbo on your Vr........

then see how unispired you still are!! :)

4.5k for that sort of performance on the corrado..

Andy the Corrado's spot on, they are quick and handle very well for their age but their appeal is more than any measure of pefrormance. The Corrado still performs favourably with any VW made new or old and regularly features in polls and is already a modern classic. If you've been spoilt by the MK2 which is running twice its factory power fair enough but as you know there is a price to pay for running a highly modified or engine converted car.

If speed is now what matters to you other than keeping the MK2 you won't find love in a VW unless you are prepared to spend the time and money developing a car which you aren't. Perhaps you need to consider going Jap if the loves not there?

Andy the Corrado's spot on, they are quick and handle very well for their age but their appeal is more than any measure of pefrormance. The Corrado still performs favourably with any VW made new or old and regularly features in polls and is already a modern classic. If you've been spoilt by the MK2 which is running twice its factory power fair enough but as you know there is a price to pay for running a highly modified or engine converted car.

If speed is now what matters to you other than keeping the MK2 you won't find love in a VW unless you are prepared to spend the time and money developing a car which you aren't. Perhaps you need to consider going Jap if the loves not there?

Its not all about the performance but feel its just getting into the style of driving the corrado,like everyone has said with the vr you have wind it up to get it going and the mk2 is totally opposite.

In an ideal world i`ll keep both and have the mk2 as a track car and the corrado a long term keeper...lol.. gareth will be laughing now knowing i always change my mind and am very impulsive..lmfao..

Wouldn`t own anything else other than vw, nothing else has the character or charm..

Advice?

If you sell the Mk2 the Corrado will come good.

This is true

Its not all about the performance but feel its just getting into the style of driving the corrado,like everyone has said with the vr you have wind it up to get it going and the mk2 is totally opposite.

In an ideal world i`ll keep both and have the mk2 as a track car and the corrado a long term keeper...lol.. gareth will be laughing now knowing i always change my mind and am very impulsive..lmfao..

Wouldn`t own anything else other than vw, nothing else has the character or charm..

The wind it up difference between any model of Corrado and a modern car is just a reflection of different approaches to engine design. All modern engines are designed to develop huge torque below 4k, the Corrado era engines do the exact opposite. This has more to do with focus groups and the transition of the status of the car/driving into a utility and not something to be enjoyed.

The mk 2 is raw in comparison to the 'rado, I had a run in a friends 1.8T powered mk 2 and it was stupidly quick but I still prefer the refined drive that a Corrado offers.

Advice?

If you sell the Mk2 the Corrado will come good.

This is true

Well it's more sympathetic advice than "You should have done your homework and test drive more thoroughly before buying a car you're now saying you don't like as much as your steroided Golf". How on earth are we supposed to answer a question like that in the first place?

I can sympathise with Butler. I've now driven a few VR's (including the one he bought) and they all seem quite slow to me. My other car is a Golf mk4 V6 4Mo (so a similar engine but more modern and 24v). But I've put it down to the fact that my Golf has huge low-down torque and also that I don't tend to drive hard on a test drive. Maybe I should but I'd feel guilty really pushing it hard.

As mentioned above, modern engine design is different, with 90's engines generally needing to be revved hard to get the power. I recall when buying a mk2 Golf I had to think long and hard between the 8v and 16v which had different characteristics and the 16v really needing high revs (I got the 16v and loved it). I don't want a Corrado just for out and out speed. It would be nice but I really don't drive anywhere fast now. It's more about loving the car itself and taking me back to a time in my 20's when I really wanted one and life was so much more fun and free.

Maybe the ideal Corrado then would be a 1.8t 20v which would have modern characteristics (one recently didn't sell in the forum and is sadly being broken - I quite fancied trying it but as it was in Scotland it was too far for me to go just in case I liked it).

I'd love to try a G60 if anyone is in the Surrey area :)

A VR6 Corrado is quicker than a 4Mo so not sure why you'd say its slow in comparison, agree the actual 24v engine is more urgent but its blunted in the heavy 4wd Golf chassis

A VR6 Corrado is quicker than a 4Mo so not sure why you'd say its slow in comparison, agree the actual 24v engine is more urgent but its blunted in the heavy 4wd Golf chassis

Yup, I realise that. But the 4Mo 'feels' quicker to me because it has more low down torque. Unless you drive it hard then the 4Mo pulls very strongly with little effort. It might also be because I'm comparing a low mileage great condition engine with around 47k, to cars that have done 150k+. So the older Corrado engines might be a little more 'tired'?

Aw for god's sake get real. Your comparing the performance of an aging car with a newer one or a mega modified one. What do you really expect. I drive my C, not for it's performance against some modern squirt machine but for the total experience. OK it's not as fast, not as quick 0 to 60 or whatever but I just had a traffic cop wanting to buy mine. You either buy into the enjoyment of owning and driving a Corrado or you don't. If you do, love it. If you don't, don't come moaning on here how bad they are, cos they're not....................

Aw for god's sake get real. Your comparing the performance of an aging car with a newer one or a mega modified one. What do you really expect. I drive my C, not for it's performance against some modern squirt machine but for the total experience. OK it's not as fast, not as quick 0 to 60 or whatever but I just had a traffic cop wanting to buy mine. You either buy into the enjoyment of owning and driving a Corrado or you don't. If you do, love it. If you don't, don't come moaning on here how bad they are, cos they're not....................

chill winston :tongue: ............. not moaning just starting a discussion about the corrado and gauging opinions... 8)

think its agreed that the corrado is an all round car but lends itself to more of a gt car.. there not bad but i`m sure everyone would agree that if they would of come with 225 from factory it would of been a different matter... 8)

few more shows this year and i`ll start to get use to it... :clap:

The reason I also bought one was not for speed but the uniqueness. No one knows what they are which is awesome and you get so much kudos for having them. 4 people have wanted to buy it in the last 4 months, dont think that would happen with a focus. But yea defo not as quick low down as my old mk2 but i fecking love the power after 4krpm. They are not a slow car at all, considering mine was built in 92. If i was u id keep the corrado n save for turbo if u want mega speed! :D

263 cams & a remap will help the VR a lot. Made mine produce a lot more torque, it starts lower down and the flatspots of the std mapping have gone. Makes it a lot more urgent.

VRT is the way forward..............

definately sounds like you need a turbo on there!!!!! i was the same as you, i really liked my VR6 but i always wanted it faster, so went and got a VRT and wouldnt change it for the world :D