Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Problem with 17" alloys

Just bought some second hand 17" Mille Miglia Spiders for my C and they are causing me a problem. After fitting them I noticed a humming noise and also a quiet knocking noise as though there is something in the tyre. I have checked the tyres and found nothing.

I had them balanced before fitting but noticed a slight buckle in one (can't see it by looking at the wheel) but it balanced ok so I put it on the rear.

It sounds like it's coming from the front and my first thought was that fitting wider wheels than standard was highighting worn wheel bearings. I put the standard wheels back on and the noise dissappeared.

They are 7 x 17 with 35mm offset.

Appreciate any help on this.

Dave

sounds like something inside the tyre although i may only become loose at high speeds, try use 3 of the new wheels and put a origianl 15" to replace the suspect one then drive it that way u can tell if it is only thet wheel, well thats what i would do anyway. :mrgreen:

The noise may be there all the time but I can only hear it when I slow down below about 20mph and drop the clutch to lessen engine noise.

I'm pretty sure the nuts are fitted correclty and tight, how else could they have been fitted???

Possibly the vibration dampener on the drivers side driveshaft has come loose. Look for a donut shaped block on the driveshaft and see if its secure, if not cut it off.

I'll check the damper but I don't have a problem with standard wheels, surely this would show on standards??

Exactly what do you mean by 'cut it off'?

It could have been a coincedence that it came loose when u changed the wheels, have u tried going back to standard wheels since the problem started?

Its just the symptoms sound exactly like what I had on my 16v, it may even be possible that it was loose before and the bigger wheels, lower profile tyres exagerate the problem, not sure on that though.

If it is loose then cut it off with an angle grinder, it looks like a rubber donut round the driveshaft but its steel inside.

Does anybody think wider wheels are putting more of a strain on the wheel bearings as it does sound like the wheel bearings are rumbling?

I would have thought there would be at least some rumbling with standard wheels but there is nothing.

The answer to my problems!!!!

After a visit today to C and R in Notts about other C problems I asked about my alloy wheels rumbling and without hesitation the answer was CHEAP TYRES!

I never thought they could cause so much noise but apparently they can if they are cheap enough. Uniroyals were recommended.

Cheers