Sign in to follow this  
abrargill

PAS pump differences

Pump has gone on my PAS for my 1.8 16v 1990 C. Is there a difference between the early and late models? I ask becoz the parts supplied by eurocars are pushing out my fan belt. N e help will be great!

Same for all 16v IIRC - I'd buy new from VW rather than messing around with pattern parts.

6K0422154X - £128.50 +vat Trade from VW

yes, there is a difference,

if you have a 1.8 with the later single waterpump pulley then you need the same pump as the 2L 16v,

if it's a 1990 it will most likely be the earlier type pulley setup (extra idler pulley on waterpump)

the difference is the hub spacing on the pas pump, that is the spacing from pump body to pulley, make sure you get the same as you have on the car.

Thanks David.

Yes the mechanic at the garage is saying the same thing - said something about having to adapt the "flannage" because he can't get hold of the exact same part. However now the high pressure hose between pump and rack has got a tiny whole in it, while trying to change the pump! Again, he said he is going to try to repair it? Is that possible? Feel like wool being pulled over my eyes! :pale:

high pressure hoses tend to go when the pump has been fauly for a while, the pressure relief valve in the pump sticks and the rack gets pressure all the time, this leads to the hose being put under too much pressure and leaking, it's possible to repair a PAS hose but not with a bodge of an extra piece of rubber section inserted into the pump to rack pressure hose, it will just pop in 5 minutes, it would take a proper hydraulics firm to re-fit rubber section to the metal pipes on the ends.

The return hose is not under pressure though, but that hardly ever fails because of that, that's the one that just connects up with jubilee clips.

I'm sure you can get the right pump on exchange somewhere, they are the same ones as fitted to mk2 golfs and even pug 306's!

Thanks David.

Apparently its the metal section that's got a small hole in it.

I went local Dealers in Dartford and checked for part number 192 422 893 A and they told me the bad news that VW stopped making the part from Sept 2009 - damn it!

Not sure what to do now :confused4: