Sign in to follow this  
GCDG60

106 gti

anyone raced a 106 gti????, there 1.6 16v, my friend has one and it feels very fast, havnt raced him in my g60 yet, what do u guys think of the 106?

ssssllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww............ compared with a G60 at least... A reasonable 1.8 16V will give 'em a good run and should beat 'em over a run too!

Handling wise, the 'rado wins every time... 8)

Pug 106:

0-60: 8.2

top speed: 122

BHP: 120

lbft: 107

weight: 961Kg

G60 'rado:

0-60:7.5

top speed: 135

BHP:158

lbft:166

Weight:1273kg

Yeah, it'll kill it! :lol:

*edit* I just realised that they're the AMERICAN figures for the G60 too, so ours should be better! :oops:

didn't race him cos he was quite a way in front to start with, but i had a 106 gti get away from me quite rapidly the other day, tried to catch up but he was too far gone! i recon it'd be pretty closly matched to my 1.8 16v based on that.

Didnt realise the G60 had such a quick 0-60 speed as standard! 7.5 seconds isn't bad...

I just realised that they're the AMERICAN figures for the G60 too, so ours should be better!

Correct, spotted that as well, as there were 2 bhp missing in your spec list :lol: , must be the US G60 then, (states 158 bhp in my very American manual, full of warnings about good driving, bad driving ...)

Tempest

I have a nasty feeling the 106 GTI would be faster than the 16v rados, my friend had one and boy did that thing shift and handle too!! I think the G60 would be a closer match but as the 106 is made from paper thus weighing nothing its really nippy and just goes! I have no doubt the 60 would be much faster top end, not that anyone drives over 70 anyway! :wink:

I would like to see one of those GTIs still performing like the corrados do when they are 12 years old and with serious mileage, i dont think it would happen some how!!

Those figures for the 106 aren't quite accurate... peugeot tend to release official figures that represent 'everyday' performance, namely the 0-60 times are done with 2 people in the car and some weight here and there. In the 106 this added weight effects it quite a bit.

In a racing situation Evo.co.uk's firgures are probably more accurate

Peugeot 106 GTI 16v

Price New - £11,795

Engine/cyl/cc - 4/1587

Bhp/rpm - 120/6600

Lbft/rpm - 107/5200

Bhp/ton - 128

0-60mph - 7.4

Max Mph - 127

They don't list the G60, just the VR6, so I can't list accurate performance figures for them...

Those figures for the 106 aren't quite accurate... peugeot tend to release official figures that represent 'everyday' performance, namely the 0-60 times are done with 2 people in the car and some weight here and there. In the 106 this added weight effects it quite a bit.

VWs official figures have always been given for a complete car (not stripped out like some manufacturers :roll: ) with half a tank of normal fuel, 2 passengers and luggage...

Yeah I think they do it depending on how they're trying to premote the car. Releasing not as impressive performance stats will lower insurance etc. but not attract the boy racers :roll:

so does anyone know the actual (one person in the car) performance statistics for the G60?

I have had a good do with a 106GTI around Oulton Park. He was with me on every corner but I did him pulling away. Maybe he was a bit braver than me? You always seem to go that bit faster on the track, when you have someone to follow/in your sights. :lol:

That was in my Golf with 68mm pulley and Jabba chip.

Personally I'd be careful picking a fight with one. Some of those kids have more money than sense. :roll:

I saw a VTR at Elvington in the summer with a supercharger on it. The lad couldn't drive too good, fortunately and folded under half a laps' sustained pressure. I could tell the car was quick though. :!:

Gavin

finally got round to racing guys....................of course i beat him!!

he kept up good tho, beat him to 60 and stayed ahead off him, went to bout 110 and he was only bout 2 cars lengths behind, they are quite nippy tho! thought he was gaining on me at one point...but u know!

My car is totally standard btw and never had an overhaul.....i need one soon..... :roll:

i say 106 off the line till the g60 hits higher end revs in first/into second, the 106 1.4 engine is faster off the mark than the 1.6 BTW, however the 1.6 would take the lead at about 30 ish. Have drive then both believe it or not the 1.4 is more fun to drive even if a little slower

They're talking about the GTI, not the XSi. GTI was only ever a 1.6 16V.

I was just pointing out the fact that the 1.4 is a racer engine due to the fact it revs fare better than the 1.6, i know they gti is a 1.6 :p

A 106 GTi will match a VR from 20 - 80 no problem. I driven many times against a mate with one giving the same results each time. I only pull ahead after 80 or so. It's also one of the best handling cars with steering feel aplenty, totally inertia free ride just bobs slightly on dips and crests. The only fault they have is their tiny offset pedals.

Performance Car figures Jan '98 0-60 7.2 secs.

Standing 1/4 mile 15.8 secs/89mph.

Nippy is a bit of an understatement. :wink:

But it's French!!!!

(just that I've had a couple of bad experiences with french cars. not actually driven, but driven into or been driven into. No offence to any french car owning peeps)