Sign in to follow this  
easypops

Oil Leak......?

Hi ,

I have had an oil leak for a wee while now and have been trying to see where it was coming from........but it was very dirty/oily underneath so couldn't really pinpoint it..........so i sprayed it with gunk and then powerwashed it and waited for the drip, which didn't come :lol: .........that was saturday and i only drove it again this morning......when i came in tonight i noticed a small drip had formed on what i think is the bit where the clutch goes?......so could this be oil from the gearbox?( i'm guessing not but ??) or is it more likely that the sump gasket is leaking from above and the oil is somehow dripping down, although the gearbox bit seems dry on the outside?.

Sorry for the poor terminology :D ........the red arrow on the first pic shows where the oil drip was forming

Cheers

Martin

Does look like its coming from within the box which more than likely means its the crankshaft oil seal thats gone - gearbox off job, might as well do the timing chains & clutch whilsts its off...

You could be lucky in that the corner of the sump gasket is leaking.

mmmmm, that doesn't sound good........had a new clutch fitted not that long ago.......and certainly no more than 1200 miles ago........will i do it any long term damage by driving it as it is, if thats where the problem is?

That'll be No4 on this then........would it be easy enough just to pop the box off and replace the seal without doing any more major surgery?.......as the clutch is almost brand new and the chains/tensioners were done within the last 20,000

Hi,

Sorry... what's that pdf document you got there?

Is it available online? If so please would you mind to send me a link?

I'd take it up to DG and get them to sort it out - they'll prob do it quicker and cheaper than anywhere else, and save you the hassle of faffing around with it all.

I'd take it up to DG and get them to sort it out - they'll prob do it quicker and cheaper than anywhere else, and save you the hassle of faffing around with it all.

I'd love to take it there mate......its just a wee bit too far away :lol:

As for damage, it depends if the oil is actually making its way onto the clutch, it might do, it might not, if its not slipping now and its been weepeing for a while then you might get away with it for a bit longer.

Personally as for taking the box off, its a bit of a pain getting the box out past the subframe once its undone.

My personal opinion is take the whole lump out complete with box still attached, it is nigh on just as quick to remove the whole thing complete as it is to wrestle the gearbox out of a tight space, also that way you can give the bay a good clean up and do any other jobs on the engine whilst its out - things like the water pump are alot easier with the engine sat on the garage floor etc.

my g60 has this problem since i removed the boost return and blanked it off

crank seal has popped only leaks when its cooling down not loosing loads

but its a job i cant do I cant get a seal until wednesday on back order

I'd love to take it there mate......its just a wee bit too far away :lol:

Och it's only 350 odd miles away, where's your dedication

My personal opinion is take the whole lump out complete with box still attached, it is nigh on just as quick to remove the whole thing complete as it is to wrestle the gearbox out of a tight space, also that way you can give the bay a good clean up and do any other jobs on the engine whilst its out - things like the water pump are alot easier with the engine sat on the garage floor etc.

The more i think about it, this might be the way to go.......i'll probably nurse it along until i amass all the parts i need and then take a big dose of brave pills and go for it :lol: , luckily i do have a garage and i dont use the car as a daily so can take my time :D