Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

Steering seem to be very heavy - any idea what might cause

Just about finnished my rebuild today, but noticed that the steering seem to be really heavy - all fluids have been replaced, and it's at maximum level with oil etc. Seem like all air is out.

It still seem to be quite heavy - any idea on what would cause it?.

Can it be related to that all parts are new and wheel alignment haven't been done yet? - I would imagine it can have some effect - but wouldn't think as much as this...

Anyone know if there is some sort of filter inside the pump or similar - that might be cloged up ?.

I seem to get no response from the PAS...:(

I was just about to post the same question. My steering feels like there is no PAS at all. Is there a wiring plug on the PAS pump at all?

check oil level and condition, for any metal swarf ect, i think their is a gauze in the reservoir.do you have any noises from the pump? it sound like the pump isnt pumping anymore,try steering left to right stationary and rev the engine does the steering feel lighter when reved?

check oil level and condition, for any metal swarf ect, i think their is a gauze in the reservoir.do you have any noises from the pump? it sound like the pump isnt pumping anymore,try steering left to right stationary and rev the engine does the steering feel lighter when reved?

No noises from pump, haven't checked for any swarf but I'v just emptied the system, and didn't notice anything with the old oil. refilled to max - doesn't seem to respond any better while reving....:(

with "gauze" do you mean filter type of thingy ?

Tried mine this morning and it definitely seems better with revs.

Does this mean the PAS pump is knackered? Luckily I still have my old one lieing about so will stick that on tonight if thats the case. Then I can finally drive the thing!

Good luck Mawrick

You boys just haven't driven them for a while and forgotten how heavy the steering is :D

Seriously though, be patient. If the rack and pump have been drained / removed, then it's going to take a while to get the oil through and all air locks out. When I replaced my rack a few months ago, it took 3 days before the steering felt 'normal' again.

Full lock left to right at idle is the usual method of pumping oil through as mentioned already, and some respond to that immediately, but some need more time.

When the pump is loaded with steering lock, it should make a whining noise. If it doesn't, sounds like it's not getting any oil? :shrug:

alright, I'l be a bit more patient, really haven't been driving the car after draining it (it's not yet registered), :)

Happen to know if a pump from a 1.8 35i passat would fit as a donor - if it turns out to be faulty ?.

if the steering is heavy and lightens up alot than it is reved ,it will more likely the pump is worn and not pumping as well, assistance should be the same idle and reved, tryed a known good one , and update the thread.

Is it a big job to change the pump on the Corrado...?

Is it a big job to change the pump on the Corrado...?

nah it's easy peasy.

Try jacking the car up a bit and getting both wheels off the floor and turning full lock left and right, that usually helps remove the air locks (with the pas tank cap off)

did some more checking today, jacked the car up on 2 jacks, and rotated steering wheel from side to side (also did this previously), but apparently some air must have still been in the system. Was able to fill maybe 0.5 cm oil in the tank afterwards to max it up.

Atleast it seem to be working now :)