Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

Induction Kits & performance filters.

Has anyone ever tried to put an induction kit onto a 1.8 16V? I hear it can't be done. Will a performance filter make any noticable difference to performance or sound?

no not bad,you just cant fit an induction kit,but pipercross do a sort of induction kit,it's just sponge that looks the same as the bottom bit of your airbox,you would be better off drilling the air box and dropping a panel filter in,just make sure you drill holes on the front of the air box and the side facing the wing

well i drilled my airbox on my old golf 16v and dropped in a k&n filter,and it sounded pretty damn nice,not sure about perfomance though,but they rev a bit free er

to what i have seen elsewhere re air intake ,thebest way seems to be a K&n panel filter and ducting away from the engine so you dont pull hot air in,If you are going to duct air in dont go to low so you pull water in {not very good}when it rains,and i would just drill the wing side of the airfilter box@10 to 12 mm

stroeve motorsport do a induction kit for a k-jet 16v....

eurotek in london are a suppiler for stroeve parts

On the Stroeve website next on the info for the 1.8 16V it says 190BHP. Surely they are not saying that their induction kit will increase power that much are they? It must be a missprint. Or is it???

My personal view of induction kits is that one should proceed with caution. In many cases people have done more to inhibit performance and inherantly settled for lower bhp in a trade for more induction noise. I was once told by a seasoned racer and fellow petrol head that "the loudest in the pits is not necessarily the fastest on the track". More noise albeit sometimes entertaining is never a substitute for proper tuning. With the 16v K Jet set up you can achieve improved air flow, better filtration, and a plentiful supply of cool dry air easily. We use a K&N panel filter, carry out careful modification to the filter box and duct air via 75mm ducting direct to the box. Exactly how this is installed ------- i'm not parting with all my tricks but the end result is a major improvement and Yes you decibel lovers get a belt of induction roar as well !! But the roar now is a by product of achieving improved performance. Induction kits are very vogue and installed properly can produce the goods, but don't loose sight of the objective.

Ross,

That would definately be a misprint.. an induction kit alone would not improve the output from the 1.8 16v by around 55BHP. It would be the same power as the VR6.

That car has probably had a tonne of work done on it to get it that powerful.

Would be nice if an induction kit allowed you to put out that much power though ;)

I seem to be getting conflicting advice here. Is the Stroeve induction kit worth its seemingly massive £120? Or will I be risking a performance decrease? Is the k&n panel and drilled airbox the more powerful option? Obviously both have pros and cons but what would be a final educated recommendation? :?

Hi Ross, i stand by my previous comment regarding induction kits. There are many more points that you clearly need to discuss. Please contact me for detail as you require. A "panel filter and drilled box" is not what i was saying. induction is a vital area of your engines running. Irrespective of the system you choose, if the installation is ill thought then it is this that will likely as not cost you power and possibly more money.

I run a kit on my G60. not bad. i think better than std box

K-jet.

The metewring head requires some sort of box other than some types such as porsche which have a pipe on the bottom.

I run a sky also with k-jet and a box. Get a cone. mount in front of radiator. put pipe from cone onto airbox. remove std filter. optional modify airbox to restrict flow/turbulance.

worked well for me.

Thanks John I will give you a call when I get round to doing something about this.

I think some other people are missing the point: As far as I understand it the 16V 1.8 engine runs Kjet mechanical fuel injection which makes it much more difficult to fit an induction kit. This is different to the G60 and VR6 which have digifant injection, this also effects "chipability". This is I guess why the Stroeye kit IS £120 (190euro).

i understand exactly what you mean. the kjet uses a metering head than needs some sort of airbox/space so that the pivot action that deturmines fuel supply can work. that is why i keep my airbox. not sure on what the inlet is like on the corrado kjet but on the sky it has about a 60mm tubo on the corner which as standard runs to the front crossmember. what ii did was remove this pipe and direct it to in front of the radiator putting a cone filter on the end then remove the standard filter.

as you say the airbox or an enclosure is needed so that the distribution flap can work but theres no need for a filter in there. for me it worked alot better as the air is taken from the front of the car in the airflow therefore v v cold. the std filter is a lot more restrictive than a cone filter.

in addition block off half of the airbox so that flow is improved.

obviously if you have drilled your airbox this wont work.

i had to tweak my fueling after to compensate for more air

Anyone tried this mod? Very tempted to do it, but (call me a wuss!) am a bit worried about the noise when cruising on the motorway.

Cheers

Andy